Moody & atmospheric, or gritty & grainy?

StonecelloStonecello Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited September 13, 2010 in Landscapes
I have a photo I made in August 2010 of Castle Stalker, Appin, in Scotland. A criticism has been made that the top quarter seems to be moody and atmospheric, whilst the rest is more gritty and grainy - a photograph that is perhaps not too sure of itself! Which way do you think it should go? Any ideas gratefully considered... thank you.

[IMG][/img]1002992317_rZ5c9-L.jpg
Castle Stalker, Appin, nr Glencoe, Scotland UK.

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I think that "top quarter seems to be moody and atmospheric, whilst the rest is more gritty and grainy" is a fair assessment. However, the composition is quite striking!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    it's hard to tell from a small image on the web, but i suspect that the culprit here is that the foreground appears much sharper than the rolling hills and mist behind. Try applying a little selective softening to the image, to reduce the appearance of oversharpening in the water and the vegetation on the island, and see if that helps...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    the breeze on the water does create a grainy texture, although it's just the little waves. I wonder if it'd help to dial back the sharpness on the water.

edit: had this open for a while and didn't see Rocky's post...15524779-Ti.gif