12 y/o football

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited September 12, 2010 in Sports
I'm a new photog having a lot of fun. Here are some football shots from my son's 12 year old football game yesterday. I struggled with the colors as I was shooting into the sun (3:00 PM game time shooting East to West). Would love any tips you might have for dealing with that situation (I know obvious is go to the other side of the field :wink ).

1003901812_xZo7b-L.jpg

1003901963_T9GcJ-M.jpg

1003904603_vYEnE-L.jpg

1003907386_Chngr-L.jpg

1003909093_Gs6QW-L.jpg

Comments

• rockcanyonphotosrockcanyonphotos Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Hey Cool!! My kid used to play for the DC Dolphins... we are now up at Rock Canyon High School, which is where I do all my shooting.

Well since you already know you should not shoot into the sun, I will skip over that point... No I won't... That is your biggest problem and you know it!! The camera will not meter correctly if you are shooting into the sun, so your photos are going to come out darker unless you go full manual and even then you are going to end up with a very challenging situation.

What equipment are you using? are you willing to invest in some faster glass? a nice 70-200mm f/2.8 lens would be a nice way to start.

Otherwise, try switching to Aperture priority mode. Open your lens up as far as it will go and bump your exposure compensation to at least +2/3's to try and get better exposure for the faces.

You also have a 200mm zoom but you are typically taking your shots at 65-85mm. Put the lens at 200mm and leave it there, then fill the frame with your subject to get the best exposure and AF.

With that lens I would also try to stay 10yds down field of the LOS and then occasionally shoot from just behind the LOS to get some nice pics of the QB/RB exchange.

Hope this helps a bit. I know you are just getting started but beware, this can be a very addicting (and expensive) hobby :-)

Regards, Kevin
    www.rockcanyonphotos.com

Canon 1DM4, 300mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 200mm 1.8, 24-70mm 2.8, 85mm 1.8
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Thanks Kevin! I appreciate your feedback. And yeah, I've discovered how addicting this is becoming. Faster glass is on my list, I'm saving up for it now.

Love your RCHS shots! They're fantastic.