need advice on paper!

six2onesix2one Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Landscapes
hey everyone! i picked up a nifty fifty the other day...was walking around getting some test shots like i always do...ended up snapping this one:

1002517224_uYSSg-XL.jpg

i wanna get a few prints of it just cause, i hardly print anything (most stays digital).

ill be buying it through smugmug so basically anything that ezprints has. unless the general consensus on here is to go elsewhere.

advice? whats the biggest you guys think i can go with this without looking like an 8bit video game? its 4288x2848 at ISO 200. what kind of paper should i get this on? im not opposed to getting a few...i know a girl who likes sunflowers and i have another girl who wants to replace some pics her ex-husb got her, lol.

i gave this shot literally no thought at all. haha, i was just playing around w/ the dof and wanted to see what i could get out of it. the above shot is at f/2.5...i was trying to get that ripple effect on the dof cause of the varying distances to various parts of the sunflower.

here is one i took to see how thin it could go.
1002526566_N2qtp-XL.jpg

anyways, advice?

if i suck bad enough feel free to tell me to quit playing w/ cameras :thumb :dunno

Comments

• photosthatgivephotosthatgive Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I like the shot. I think you could go 20x30 or bigger. I prefer the Kodak Endura Luster that Bay Photo offers (EZ Photo might as well). It'll definitely pop on glossy or metallic (which is cool in it's own right), but I like the half matte/half glossy look of luster.
    -Josh

Photographer/Founder - Photos That Give

www.photosthatgive.com

Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog
    Website
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I like the new wider gamut papers Fuji has. Problem with most papers out there is they are easily trumped by Inkjet prints which have a bigger gamut than traditional wet processing. I don't know who offers them though, other than my old lab, prolabexpress.com.. you should be able to find someone that has them...
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I order all my SmugMug prints from Bay Photo, not EZPrints. I have always been pleased with the quality, especially with the metallic paper--it can really make those colors pop! The lustre from Bay Photo is my second standard paper. If you are going to order several, why not try different papers to see what you like best?

Nice experiment--that nifty fifty can do some terrific things!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com