Sociable

silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
A Few images from a Concert this weekend. This was my first attempt at capturing images at a concert so C&C is welcomed.You can see the full gallery at http://www.silvereye-online.com/Music/Sociable/13741904_npNye#1004951899_4g28F

Thanks for looking

1004955076_gPkMZ-M-2.jpg

1004952621_y9voN-L-2.jpg

1004951516_e9Jcx-M-2.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Not showing up for me. I'm guessing its something wrong on your end. You seem to have this problem a lot.

However, I did click through to your gallery, just to see what you have to offer and I'm not sure that many are in focus. Possibly the shutter speed was a bit low as well? Some of the images seem a bit blown in places as well. It appears that you have a powerful spotlight of some sort on the band's left which wasn't helping you. I know that copyright marks need to be in a place where they can't just be cut out, but some of your images have the mark right on the person's face. Perhaps on these images you could move the copyright mark a bit?

Some individual comments.
    2/27 The main singer seems to be OOF or a bit blurred but the drummer shows up. I think the drummer is kinda cool like this, but as he's pretty small compared to the rest of the image, I keep looking at the singer.

5/27 Focus and sharpness are good. His face looks a little hot to me. Did you clip some of the highlights here?

7/27, also seems a bit over exposed. In this image, perhaps moving the CR notice a bit towards his chin would help?

8/27 One of my picks I think. You have some pretty white highlights but his face seems ok. What doesn't work for me is the CR notice right on his face. Again, I undersand the need, but as a customer, I think I'd really like to have most of my face viewable for me to decide to buy it. (I'm guessing you are hoping the band or someone might buy an image or two?)

9/27 another pick. Not sure if his face is sharp enough, but overall, I like it. Think its great that you've got the whole guitar here.

11/27 Seems like it might be great, but again, CR bad placement kills it here. Because a lot of the other images seem to have blown faces or OOF/blur problems. I'd probably be somewhat reluctant to click the buy button without seeing the face. But I really think this might be one of the best images.

14/27 I looked at the largest size. It looks like the focus is reallly good, on the window. Also looked at the EXIF here. What lens are you using? I'm wondering if a 2.8 of any kind or even a 50mm 1.8 (dirt cheap I hear) might be a really good buy for you since your shutter speed is a bit low in this shot I'd think.

15, Good, but CR

20, Focus/blur/ highlights.

22. Cool. Like the blur effect. Have you tried a slight crop to remove the stand on the camera right? I think this image could use a bit of cropping. Tighten it up and I think you have something good here. Probably my favorite of the series.

I'm going to guess you are using some sort of variable aperture, 55-200 "kit" zoom. Understand that you have to shoot what you have and super expensive glass isn't always an option. In this sort of situation though, you probably could greatly improve your keeper rate with faster glass. I also notice that you are often shooting around 150mm, so my earlier suggestion of a 50mm 1.8 might not work here. A 70-200 2.8 would be really nice.

I'd also suggest watching your exposure. Are the spot lights moving around a lot or is the band moving a lot, in and out of the lights? I'd suggest using a spot metering mode and meter off their faces. That's what I do at the circus with their super sharp spots.

Focus is also seems off. Do you agree?

I think its a lot better than what most people could do, but I've seen better,and I expect better from a professional.

One suggetion, perhaps you could include a few crowd shots so that one doesn't get the impression that these guys are playing for an empty house.
  • silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Thanks for the great feedback... I was applying a promist filter to try and add a more dynamic look and feel...I can see it being a bit hot as for the QOF.. this was a real challenge shooting in this enviornment, it was my first attempt and never thought to switch to a 50MM but might try that in the event I get any other offers...

The challenge seems to be both moving lights and subjects for me but I agree a spot mete may correct exposure issues.

But very good feedback, I will be sure to reffernce this going forward :)