Some shots on O'ahu

DCrossPhotoDCrossPhoto Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Landscapes
Hey guys,

First post on here(only lurked for about a week) and wanted to post some pics. Been taking "snapshots" for a while, but thought I would finally start to push myself with quality and thought-process. Still very new to post-processing, too. But all C&C is always welcome. Glad I've found this forum, and look forward to being a part of the community as my skills progress!

1004917952_JWd3Z-M.jpg

993942649_P6tx2-M.jpg

990608464_KTw3v-M.jpg

993942724_omeNL-M.jpg

1003614956_DsKD7-M.jpg

Comments

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Try centering your subjects less; one and 2 are too centered.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Welcome, Derek and glad to see some pics from you! Wow these are certainly anything but snapshots. I love the variety and color here, especially in the second-to-last shot. You have a great eye, so please don't be afraid to show us more. :D
  • DCrossPhotoDCrossPhoto Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Welcome, Derek and glad to see some pics from you! Wow these are certainly anything but snapshots. I love the variety and color here, especially in the second-to-last shot. You have a great eye, so please don't be afraid to show us more. :D

Thank you very much for the compliment, and mostly for the encouragement! wings.gif
    Again, I'm pleased to be a new part of this community! All the best!
    edited September 24, 2010
    willard3 wrote: »

Thank you, willard3, for the feedback! The first two shots were purposely centered, but I understand what you're saying, and I will definitely be mindful of that! Thanks again.:D
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Nice Shots and i do agree with willard3 about centering...

keep it up :)
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    While centering is considered gauche and amateurish in photography, I don't think that being centered detracts much from #1 and #2. They're very nice shots and I think you achieved what you weree trying to do with them.

#4 wows me. You caught a stunningly beautiful sunset, with rich, vibrant colors, and a terrific example of silhouette in the foreground. The people on the ridge are sharp and dark, and the bike adds additional interest. Too bad about the street sign and lamp posts; I think the pic would have been better without them, but it's great as-is.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    I like the intensity of the green in #1, very good.

Duncan
    WillCAD wrote: »
    While centering is considered gauche and amateurish in photography, I don't think that being centered detracts much from #1 and #2. They're very nice shots and I think you achieved what you weree trying to do with them.

#4 wows me. You caught a stunningly beautiful sunset, with rich, vibrant colors, and a terrific example of silhouette in the foreground. The people on the ridge are sharp and dark, and the bike adds additional interest. Too bad about the street sign and lamp posts; I think the pic would have been better without them, but it's great as-is.

*WillCAD, Thank you very much for your input! I'm still getting use to publicly displaying my photos. And now, thinking about concepts such as composition, exposure, and "effect", instead of "Hey look, a bird!" CLICK!, has really pushed me back down the learning curve!

*Starcluster, Thank you!

*Duncan, I got lucky with the sun on that one. Shot from the ground, up through the back of a giant leaf, with a bit of post to clean up.

Thank you all for the encouragement!

I truly appreciate the comments, as I believe we can all learn from each other(and my classes are definitely in session...)
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    willard3 wrote: »

love your tagline...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com