Jenn (from Oklahoma)
Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6

Comments

• Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Definitely on theme for me.

And I like the processing, but I am not certain that everyone will. thumb.gif
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I think it's on theme but I don't care of the PP. ;)
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    Jenn wrote: »
    Would this qualify for "Signals"?

A Sign of the Times

Not a positive sign, but definately a sign! :D
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    The man was sitting there in front of Walmart yesterday when I went to do my grocery shopping. I brought my camera with me just in case I saw something that would make a good shot for this challenge.

I have the shot in full color, too.... but, I thought it might look more dramatic if I did it in black and white and added a filter to it. Any suggestions?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    it's very dramatic. It kind of looks like a cheap newspaper print or something that's been faxed a few times. I'd personally like to see a little less harsh processing on it - about 80% is bright white, which makes the rest sort of hard to look at. I'm not sure there's enough separation between the old guy's head and the background, and the expression on his face has lost a little in the processing.

Great eye though. It's a great portrait in context. I like even the cars in the parking lot in the background, it puts him in a parking lot.
    red_zone wrote: »
    it's very dramatic. It kind of looks like a cheap newspaper print or something that's been faxed a few times. I'd personally like to see a little less harsh processing on it - about 80% is bright white, which makes the rest sort of hard to look at. I'm not sure there's enough separation between the old guy's head and the background, and the expression on his face has lost a little in the processing.

Great eye though. It's a great portrait in context. I like even the cars in the parking lot in the background, it puts him in a parking lot.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'll try a different process to it.. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    Sometimes, you think a shot is good.. process it- and then that feeling leaves you- like a gas pain.

I think that (after revisting an image after a day or two) a little time passing and then reviewing the shot helps.

nod.gif
  • Options
    Here are 2 more versions .... either of them any better?
    I kind of like #2 better myself. :)

Try #2-color:

902originalw-color.jpg

Try 3 - Greyscale

902originalw-greyscale.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    misterb wrote: »
    Sometimes, you think a shot is good.. process it- and then that feeling leaves you- like a gas pain.

I think that (after revisting an image after a day or two) a little time passing and then reviewing the shot helps.

nod.gif

Laughing.gif yeah .. I know that feeling .. my first try always looks ok to me at first, but the more I look at it the more I want to fix it!
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    Yep, it's a sign. 2 years left, guess I should stop working so much and start having more fun! Didn't really like the post in one either. Little too over the top. IMO the color version seems to make the 'sign' stand out a bit more than the black and white.
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    I like the theme. My preference is for the color version; the crisp white/red of the bumper sticks out in that one. But, I'm still wondering a bit about the processing, even in that one. There's something funky going on in the man's left arm, for example. Is it a high degree of sharpening? Or have you done some cloning? or does he just have an atypical arm?

I'd like to see the original and see what others have to say about processing. I'm not an extensive processor myself, though I've been learning a lot from this forum on the touches that can add a that little extra zing.
  • Options
    I like the theme. My preference is for the color version; the crisp white/red of the bumper sticks out in that one. But, I'm still wondering a bit about the processing, even in that one. There's something funky going on in the man's left arm, for example. Is it a high degree of sharpening? Or have you done some cloning? or does he just have an atypical arm?

I'd like to see the original and see what others have to say about processing. I'm not an extensive processor myself, though I've been learning a lot from this forum on the touches that can add a that little extra zing.

The mans left arm looks funky because it IS funky looking! seriously ... lol He was sitting in that chair propping himself up by his elbows with his arms both pointed inward and his hands hanging down. I just lightened the original photo a bit because he was sitting in the shadows and added a bit of blur to the cars off in the parking lot to make him stand out more as the center of the focus, and then cropped it and resized it a bit smaller.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Yep, it's a sign. 2 years left, guess I should stop working so much and start having more fun! Didn't really like the post in one either. Little too over the top. IMO the color version seems to make the 'sign' stand out a bit more than the black and white.

I think I like the color one better, too. thanks.. :)

I'm not sure about what his sign says.. I thought it was a good opportunity to get a photo of something unusual for thie particular challenge. I don't get many chances to get photos quite like this one. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    He's a dusty old man.. that's gray arm hair.. imagine if he took off his shirt!
  • Options
    He's a dusty old man.. that's gray arm hair.. imagine if he took off his shirt!

haha no thanks .. I don't want to imagine him with his shirt off! :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2010
    Not a positive sign, but definately a sign! :D

yeah ... we get alot of stuff like this man and his sign off and on here in Tulsa .....
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Very interesting and unique - I think I like the first one best, but it's still missing something, not sure what... headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com