Great Smoky Mountains NP - A Few More

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Landscapes
Under the weather these days so I haven't even finished my shots from my Blue Ridge-Smokies-D.C. trip. I thought I'd post a few shots that I finished processing, hoping for some C&C that I can use for further processing.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. Tree standing alone in pasture in Cade's Cove, Great Smoky Mtns NP; early morning
980619646_dGKxk-L-2.jpg

2. Not a true landscape, but she got in the frame so I had to include her! :rofl
980643173_VBXwy-L-1.jpg

3. Same part of Cade's Cove; 2 exp HDR to bring out some color
995370357_tyVvw-L.jpg

4. Same shot, single exposure processed in Aperture 3.0
995373250_TjF7f-L.jpg

5. Same meadow again, different view. I like the sky and the misty clouds, but I'm not sure if the overall shot really offers much. Does it need reworking or should it go to the "keep but not portfolio quality" file?
995376217_cToNY-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Love #2-- she looks like she's posing for you.

3 is the best of the last set. Doesn't look overdone to my eyes. Maybe need a stronger foreground element (perhaps the deer will pose? :lol). Also seems to be a bit "blue."
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Nice set, Lauren. I think I prefer #3 to #4 because the sky is a little darker so your eye doesn't instantly get dragged to the top of the frame.

As far as #5, I like the layers you are getting. Maybe try a crop of some of the foreground to emphasize the mountains more. And depending on your preference, there is some color in the clouds (some pinks). Maybe try an exposure gradient in the sky to darken the clouds a little and bring out some of those colors.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Hi Lauren,

Nice work. I hope you took the " loop " road when you were there. It's a stunningly beautiful ride. I would like to see a little more brightness in the foreground in these shots. # 3 does the best job with that.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • photosthatgivephotosthatgive Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    loving the shot of the doe.
    -Josh

Photographer/Founder - Photos That Give

www.photosthatgive.com

Facebook
    Twitter
    Blog
    Website
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Very nice Lauren!! I really like #1 and #2. The Doe is beautiful!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    Thanks, everyone! I'll take another stab at #5 with a crop, and will see if I can get some pinks in the sky. I do have a few other deer shots from that morning but this one was my fave.

Tom, we did take the loop road through Cade's Cove, both mornings. That's where we saw the treed black bear. Hope to post some of those shots soon.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com