Options

Nikon D60 Camera Problem

blondievpblondievp Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited September 13, 2010 in Cameras
Nikon D60 Camera Problem
<hr style="color: rgb(204, 204, 204);" size="1"> Camera Problem.

Hi I have a Nikon D60 and recently I have been experiencing problems with my camera.

Sometimes when I go to take a picture (just as I start to push the button down) the image In the view finder judders up and down once and there is a clicking noise when this happens. The Problems happens intermittently but the frequency is starting to increase

This camera hasn’t been dropped, I’m really worried that something inside has come loose. Does this sound like a problem that you have had before and could it be fixed by having the camera serviced.

If It needs a service is there anywhere that you would recommend that I took it to.

The Camera is just over a year old and has had around 8000 actuations

Please help.

Thanks Victoria

Comments

• Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    What lens are you using? Is it a VR lens and is VR turned on? Do you have another lens that you could try?

My guess from your description is that it could be something with the VR mechanism in the lens.
  • Options
    jziegler wrote: »
    What lens are you using? Is it a VR lens and is VR turned on? Do you have another lens that you could try?

My guess from your description is that it could be something with the VR mechanism in the lens.

I have the Nikon 18-55VR Lens and a Tamron 70-300m Lens and I am getting the problem with both of them which points me to a camera problem.

We have been offroading a lot recentley and I wonder if something has been shaken loose in the camera as it does get rather bumpy.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    This sounds like a primary mirror failure. I suggest sending it off to Nikon for service if you intend to keep the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    This sounds like a primary mirror failure. I suggest sending it off to Nikon for service if you intend to keep the camera.

Do you have any ideas how much a full service would cost?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    Nikon will send you an estimate to approve before any repairs.

If it is indeed the mirror box, you might be looking at around $250USD. There is no telling exactly what they might find so it could be considerably more or less. It would be best to send it in so you can know for sure.

Used Nikon D60 bodies are running $325USD (EX condition, body only) to $380 (LN-) at KEH.com so if the estimate exceeds $250 I suggest a replacement rather than repair.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Noah212Noah212 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    I have had this happen to me too. However, only when I am using my Nikon 18-55 VR lens (and only when the VR is switched on). I always though that it was just from glass elements shifting to accommodate for the vibration.