Options

RFP for Mural

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
A museum fabrication company has asked to see my work and might be interested in hiring me to shoot some nature shots for an upcoming mural. I'd be hiking to a specific location, shooting according to their specs and then they'll want the digital image.

I know the next step will be to bid on the job (the referral kind of fell in my lap). Do I do hourly + the hi-res image? Flat rate?

Any advice on what to bid?

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Get the specifics! The details!

What is the location? That will provide you with the distance, and difficulty in just getting to the site. With landscapes you may have to go back more than once to get the image. Weather light, season, etc.

You mentioned a mural company. How large do they want to print? Do they plan on printing multiple copies? What are the intended uses? Are they asking for exclusive use?

Shoot to their specs.......what are their specs? Do you have equipment that will meet their specs?

Do they have a budget? If so, what is the range?

What is a museum fabrication company?

Lots of questions to ask.

I would quote it as a total price. It's much easier for a company when they know what the total cost will be and there won't be any discussion after the fact about how many hours you spent, etc.

Sam
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    indiegirl wrote: »
    A museum fabrication company has asked to see my work and might be interested in hiring me to shoot some nature shots for an upcoming mural. I'd be hiking to a specific location, shooting according to their specs and then they'll want the digital image.

I know the next step will be to bid on the job (the referral kind of fell in my lap). Do I do hourly + the hi-res image? Flat rate?

Any advice on what to bid?

I'm like SAM, Get the Details!

They want to see your work. Once they establish that they'd like you to participate, they'll probably already have a budget laid out and can share that with you. This sounds like an installation within a Museum, and the Museum has paid or is paying for it, so so much money is planned and budgeted.

Sounds like many things are moving well for you!!

Good Luck!
    tom wise
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    Thanks, Sam and Tom! Your questions are great and will propel my conversation (if there is one) with the company. Sam: this company builds museum installations all over the country. They also do other kinds of long-term displays. It's a great organization, I hope I can get in with them.

I sent them some samples but haven't heard back from the project manager. I'll update when I know more.

:)

Jesse