Falls Lake - Durham County, NC

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in Landscapes
Here are a few shots from this weekend out in the Durham County section of Falls Lake in North Carolina.

C&C is always appreciated :D

#1: (Sunrise on Falls Lake)

1003260130_MoPbo-XL.jpg

#2: (Putting in For the Morning)

1003261727_idcmb-XL.jpg

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    nice colors in the first, and the ghostly image of people in the second one is intriguing...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Definitely loving the first shot. I'm trying to figure out how I never went there after being in NC for 20 years.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Definitely loving the first shot. I'm trying to figure out how I never went there after being in NC for 20 years.

Thanks for the feedback! Falls Lake would be an easy lake to pass by in North Carolina considering all of the other natural beauty this state has. I find Falls Lake to present some challenges for making landscape shots as there are so many places that lack interesting foreground material. There are also a lot of places that are managed by the state, and those areas don't open until 8 a.m. This particular spot is at the end of a boat ramp and the rocks in the picture are there to hold the land in place that is holding up the boat dock.

This particular morning was fairly interesting as after the sun came up, it went right behind the clouds not 5 minutes later creating light that is more like the first half of the golden hour than the second half. The first shot was taken just prior to the sun coming up and is a 3 minute exposure at f/16. The second shot was taken after the sun went back behind the clouds and is a 30 second exposure at f/16. Definitely a lot more light available after the sun came up, but the quality of that light was still very impressive. I believe for that last shot I had my Singh-Ray Vari-N-Duo filter dialed about +4 ND and a 1.2, 0.9, and 0.6 ND Grad stacked on the end of that to control the light in the upper left hand corner. I really like the effect of the warming polarizer that's in the Vari-N-Duo.

Karl