Options

Yes/No? Rental of a Zeiss 50/2 Makro for my upcoming trip

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited September 14, 2010 in Cameras
Seriously considering, even though I have a nice 50/1.4 that's pretty damn sharp, renting the Zeiss 50/2.

First thought was the 1.4, but I'm going to be doing landscapes and the 50/2 seems to have the 1.4 Planar beat quite well from the MTF charts I was looking at.

I'm thinking with the quality of Zeiss over the Canon 50/1.4 is going to be a slight bit better image quality. Especially since I can get one for 3 weeks for around $120.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited September 14, 2010
    The Zeiss ZF/ZE Makro-Planar T* 50mm, f2 is one of those very special lenses in the world. On a FF body about the only real problem is vignetting at largest apertures. The lack of AF and aperture automation is largely offset by the potential results it can achieve. At fully open the sharpness is unequaled.

However, if you intend to use the lens at "macro" distances and magnifications, there are potentially better choices, IMO. (The Zeiss only does 1/2 life size and large apertures are generally not needed or desired for macro use.)

If the $120 doesn't bother you and you need the qualities of the Zeiss, I suggest that you go for it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Zeiss ZF/ZE Makro-Planar T* 50mm, f2 is one of those very special lenses in the world. On a FF body about the only real problem is vignetting at largest apertures. The lack of AF and aperture automation is largely offset by the potential results it can achieve. At fully open the sharpness is unequaled.

However, if you intend to use the lens at "macro" distances and magnifications, there are potentially better choices, IMO. (The Zeiss only does 1/2 life size and large apertures are generally not needed or desired for macro use.)

If the $120 doesn't bother you and you need the qualities of the Zeiss, I suggest that you go for it.

Thanks! Would be using it at 5.6, since that seems to be where it and my 50/1.4 (at least looking at the Zeiss MTF data) is sharpest. So shouldn't be too much of a problem with vignetting at 5.6 I'd hope. I'll have to go back to the results I saw because I know they included vinetting information and I didn't even think that was a consideration on a 50 (I usually pay attention on wides, but not "normals")

Macro, won't use it. Well, doubtful, maybe a shot here or there, but main intention is a super sharp landscape lens for creating panorama's with my RRS head, which I normally use my canon 50/1.4 to do the job.

Again, thanks for the info!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    ... main intention is a super sharp landscape lens for creating panorama's with my RRS head, which I normally use my canon 50/1.4 to do the job.

Should be excellent for that purpose. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums