ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,835 moderator
    edited September 14, 2010
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    dpreview - Olympus E-5 dpreview

To be priced around D300s and 7D range - can it compete? Will the smaller (than the 7D) and cheaper 60D be a fly in the ointment?

...time will tell.

sidebyside-001.jpg

The E-5 sat between two of its most obvious competitors (in spec terms): the Nikon D300s and Canon EOS 50D.
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    The American link:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1525

I'm happy with what I see, the art filters and video are nice "throw-in's" but I would probably rarely use them.

What does do it for me is the weatherproofing, hi-res LCD, big viewfinder!

(also- having the Zuiko glass is another plus!)
  • Options
    Pocket-Lint has some more pics: Olympus E-5 pocketlint
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    Well it's certainly a conservative upgrade. Perhaps a short to mid term platform for Olympus's HG and SHG glass until mirror-less is good enough for pro level applications where only a DSLR can cut it at the moment? Over on a certain other forum, there's been a wailing and gnashing of teeth over this with some even calling the E-5 a water proof E-PL1. I wish! I'd buy a small, weather sealed Pen camera in a heartbeat! In the meantime, my E-30 continues to function (and probably my E-PL1 too, if the planks who stole it have worked out how to charge the battery).
  • Options
    Internaut wrote: »
    ...Over on a certain other forum, there's been a wailing and gnashing of teeth over this with some even calling the E-5 a water proof E-PL1. ...

...focused on the Olympus faithfull with little to draw a newcomer in...

That's me. I love the 7D and am waiting on the 60D. At the same (or higher) price as the 7D I'd have to look real hard at the E-5 to sway me.

Another thing, I can't seem to find Olympus or Pentax products anywhere close by to test so it's all vapour to me - no matter how good they are.
  • Options
    I don't get the uproar either- it's a good camera with upgraded functions.

Be happy with what came out- not bitter because it wasn't the end-all, be-all gadget.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    I am really having an internal struggle with this announcement...
  • Options
    misterb wrote: »
    I don't get the uproar either- it's a good camera with upgraded functions.

Be happy with what came out- not bitter because it wasn't the end-all, be-all gadget.
    misterb wrote: »
    I have a feeling the new Olympus E-5 will be at the top of the heap!

wings.gifDwings.gif

...tell us how you really feel. No really, what do you see as the good and the bad so far. ne_nau.gif (we still need to wait for a hands-on review anyway)
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    I am really having an internal struggle with this announcement...

My suspicion is that this might just be Olympus's last DSLR! Whether that is good, bad or merely indifferent depends very much on what Olympus has lined up in terms of m43.

One thing I will say though...... I own a Panasonic G1, an Olympus E-30 and (owned - before it got stolen) an Olympus E-Pl1. I took the E-30 out over the weekend and in a brief window of good light made a few exposures. The experience of taking photos with a DSLR remains very different that of the new mirror-less cameras. The feel, a certain quality of responsiveness and the fact you're looking pretty much straight through the lens all make a difference.
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    I don't get this doom and gloom about the future of 4/3's..

The E-5 was released quicker than the E-3 was after the E-1.

There is a full line up of lenses. Sure, it might be nice to have a few more specialty lenses.

The spec's on the E-5 look good and I can't wait to see some images.

As to the m43, pffft. For my work I couldn't care less except that they can/have been a test platform for new features :)

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    The 1 shot HDR-Like filter is sizzle, but the steak is an upgraded DSLR which is weatherproof, better ISO performance, new True-Pic, and live-view with a hi-res LCD.

Keep in mind that the MSRP will be $1,699.. and I'm sure there will be downward movement in the E-30's and remaining E-3's.

edit- this poster (from another board) sums it up:

1. Improved C-AF: Check. This is in itself is worth the upgrade for me. I'm tiring of the E-3's sluggish C-AF (and S-AF) performance dragging the heavy SHG telephoto glass lazily around to the proper focus point.

2. Fine-tune lens focusing: Check. Another no brainer. I always had the sneaking suspicion that my 50mm was slightly off.

3. Two stops more usable hi-ISO performance. Check. ISO 1600-3200 will be *lots* enough to get by with f2.0 glass

4. Better battery voltage/performance. Check. Should rectify the occasional low light 14-35mm focus issues as well as help move that heavy glass around.

5. Bigger High-Def LCD: Check. Makes live view macro focusing a breeze.

6. Contrast Detect AF in Live View: Check. See above.

7. Improved DR: Check. A purported stop or two means we are approaching holy grail status.

8. Video: Even Draw. I suppose I'll use it once in a while, although my 6oz Sony Handycam is never any bother to throw in the bag.

9. 12MP: Check. Not that I've ever needed more than the E-3's 10MP to print gorgeous 24x32 prints that are as sharp as a tack. In any event, 5 vertical 35-100mm shots stitched effortlessly in CS3 easily make for a 40 MP landscape print that I can print at 4 feet wide that is also sharp as a tack. But still, no complaints; 12 MP is nice.

10. Art Filters: Meh. What the heck is an art filter besides the digital equivalent of a Velvet Elvis painting? I guess it makes the eventual E-5 resale value higher to lazy photographers.

11. Weather Sealing/Dust Buster/IBIS/Mag Body: Check. As long as the is no regression from the E-3, this camera will remain the gold standard for DSLR ruggedness. Sometimes I think we take this for granted on the Olympus sites. We shouldn't. I have no doubts that an E-X series camera is the only machine on the market that can stand up to the punishment I dole out to my gear on a daily basis.

12. Marked Image Quality Improvement: Check. I've saved this for last, because, after all, its the most important quality of all to photographers (except gearheads and measurebaters, of course). I suspect that the reduction in the anti-aliasing filtering coupled with the new pixel-level microtuning feature in the TruePic 5+ processor is simply skillfully applied local contrast enhancement (similar to what Topaz Labs uses in their software). But, so what, if it means the perceived photo quality, using SHG glass, is basically on par with the 7D and D300s?
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2010
    You guys are right. This does look like a pretty sweet camera. I shouldn't catastrophize.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    richy wrote: »
    I truly hope it isnt the last dslr from olympus. They have an amazing history, make some great innovative products and if anything push canon, sony, nikon, pentax et al to make better cameras.
    Its great to see them (again) punting something into the midrange market. Not sure I would swap my canon for it as its not really a fair comparison to the 7d (7d is pretty much a budget sports camera whereas the e5 seems to be a jack of all trades camera) but to say a 60d, its going to be close and thats impressive.

The E-620 already offers most of the customization of my D700 so they don't really need to increase that. New screens and maybe a little work on the AF system and they can keep 4/3 going with the m4/3 technology since there is a ton of crossover.

The system is smaller and the build feel at least feels much better so I could see them being a real option for those who want a traditional SLR for years to come. The issue is their strengths over the competition will go down and the advertising isn't really showing them currently.

Do an ad of a E-5 sitting out in a snow storm like that youtube video of the E-3 and still working, you will get a lot of people interested.

Do another one showing the Olympus mid tier lenses, and their performance/quality/price compared to Nikon and Canon who are severely lacking in this department. Olympus F2.8-3.5 lenses are cheaper and faster than many Canon L series deal.gif

They need to show this off, and let people know it is the system they are buying. While Canon and Nikon have amazing 2.8 zoom (Olympus has their own 2.0 collection but that is another matter) the average DSLR buyer will not spend 2,000 on a lens, so show them that for the money they plan to spend Olympus is a much better deal.

Hell I got into Olympus because I am disabled and their E-420 was the only DSLR camera I could hold, they let me express my self basically which is something I desperately needed. I'm sure there are tons of other stories like mine and they could capitalize on this as well.
  • Options
    The E-620 already offers most of the customization of my D700 so they don't really need to increase that. New screens and maybe a little work on the AF system and they can keep 4/3 going with the m4/3 technology since there is a ton of crossover.

The system is smaller and the build feel at least feels much better so I could see them being a real option for those who want a traditional SLR for years to come. The issue is their strengths over the competition will go down and the advertising isn't really showing them currently.

Do an ad of a E-5 sitting out in a snow storm like that youtube video of the E-3 and still working, you will get a lot of people interested.

Do another one showing the Olympus mid tier lenses, and their performance/quality/price compared to Nikon and Canon who are severely lacking in this department. Olympus F2.8-3.5 lenses are cheaper and faster than many Canon L series deal.gif

They need to show this off, and let people know it is the system they are buying. While Canon and Nikon have amazing 2.8 zoom (Olympus has their own 2.0 collection but that is another matter) the average DSLR buyer will not spend 2,000 on a lens, so show them that for the money they plan to spend Olympus is a much better deal.

Hell I got into Olympus because I am disabled and their E-420 was the only DSLR camera I could hold, they let me express my self basically which is something I desperately needed. I'm sure there are tons of other stories like mine and they could capitalize on this as well.

I knew I liked your thinking.