Dual Cards on D300s (again) for video?

www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited September 14, 2010 in Cameras
from time to time i may shoot video w/ my d300s, i have an SD + CF loaded in the camera, both 8 gb. SD is the primary slot and CF is set to backup, but when i shoot video, it only records to the CF card, witch is a pain because i dont have a CF card reader and i had to download Nikon transfer, and now thats the only way i can access my CF.

is there any way i can have it record to the SD instead, or both?
My Website:www.SGphoto.us

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 14, 2010
    from time to time i may shoot video w/ my d300s, i have an SD + CF loaded in the camera, both 8 gb. SD is the primary slot and CF is set to backup, but when i shoot video, it only records to the CF card, witch is a pain because i dont have a CF card reader and i had to download Nikon transfer, and now thats the only way i can access my CF.

is there any way i can have it record to the SD instead, or both?

What happens if you only have an SD card in the camera?

Would you consider purchasing a card reader that supports both SD and CF?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    If you don'thave a CF card reader, leave the CF card out & it will record both on the SD card. You can also insert a blank SD card & copy files from the CF card to the SD card in camera.

Steve
  • www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    thx ziggy but i'm trying to avoid the card reader option, not because i can't afford it, but jst because of the fact that there is an sd reader built into my computer and thats what i use. my CF is purely for backup purposes only. i dont take it out of the camera, and at this point i'm considering ditching it because i think its slowind my camera down. SD is the way to go and it kind of annoys me that even though i set SD to primary the camera still looks to the CF card first.

Steve-
    How can i copy files in camera?
  • Y_KnotY_Knot Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Steve-
    How can i copy files in camera?[/QUOTE]

Look on page # 248 in the User's manual. I haven't tried it personally . Let us know if it works ok.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    If you hook the camera to the computer via an USB cable does it not show up in "my computer" as a drive or 2 drives just like a card reader does??
    It seems to me the only one time I connected my camera (D300) to computer it showed up as a drive with its own letter and i could just drag and drop
    to any folder on any other hard drive I wanted...just like I do with a card reader.......

So what good is the back up if you do not have a reader......what happens when the card gets full........

And Yes it will slow down your cam because the came is writing to 2 cards in the same instance.............
    of course it is going to slow down.............

EDIT: Yes my D300 shows up as a drive called D300, nothing to install..............Maybe you should unstall the Nikon software and just drag and drop if
    you need to access the CF card, ofcourse maybe Nikon did something so that when the D300s is conncect it doesn't show as 2 drives and only
    your primary drive (SD card) shows.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    i have a d300s, it does not show up as anything when i connect it to the usb. nikon disabled that ability. the only way to access the camera through usb is w/ nikon software.

and when i say it slows down the camera, its not in writing the files, sometimes it takes a few seconds to view images when i press the "play" button. it never did that before i started using the lexar cf card. it was faster when i had my scandisk extreme III but that was only 4 gb, no stores around me have anything over 4 gb in CF cards and there are so many fake ones on the internet, i have been reluctant to attempt ordering a better one, But that's not a major issue.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    As long as you stay with name brand stores...New Egg, B&H and stay away from EBAy then buying
    great cards is no problem...I bought 6 Transcend 8gb cards from New Egg...no probs........I did get hung out
    on Ebay for some SanDisk cards a couple of years ago.........but paypal refunded and the cards were returned
    saying the return daay was no good...funny it weas the same addresss they supposedly shipped from.....so I
    have 2 counterfeit SanDisk cards still in their Priority Mail box, just in case the counterfeiters want them back. :-}}

Also as you purchase larger cards that will also slow down your camera.......this has been a proven problem forever.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website