Here It Is....A Rarity For Me

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Whether it's worthy or not, this is likely the only flower shot you'll ever see me post. If nothing else, I know my limitations.

290289881_AJZvP-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Flowers :Dthumb.gif

I like flowers -- Feels like I could just reach out and pick one :D
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    OK You, Where is Tom and What did You Do with Him!!!

Really love what you done here, Whoever you are!!!!

:D:D:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    I like it a lot, Tom. As Mary says, it has real presence. Strong colour and clarity, excellent exposure, and in a setting with a lot of narrative. Very "sympathetic" study.

The dof is curious, it is quite deep for the apparent focal distance, yet there is one bud/pod in the near centre, the top of which seems oof. Do you see what I mean? What is the reason for that, do you think? Please let us know what gear and settings you used.

Thanks.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    Hi, love the colour and clarity on this one - you should post more :D

Cheers, Richard.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Hi Mary,

Actually, I really love flowers. I can thank my mother for passing along her green thumb. The veranda behind my house could be mistaken for a tropical jungle. I'm pleased you like this shot.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    Yo Craig,

I don't know what got into that rascal Tom but I assure you I'll find him and get his butt back on track. :D Flowers!! Indeed!!:D

Be well, my friend.

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    Panther wrote: »
    OK You, Where is Tom and What did You Do with Him!!!

Really love what you done here, Whoever you are!!!!

rolleyes1.gif Cracks me up. Couldn't come up with anything and Craig ponies
    up in short order.
    I believe one of your opening shots shared was of a flower by a trail or
    sidewalk at a collage or something like that. Been awhile ya.

This is very well done Tom. thumb.gif Nice lighting and sweet DOF for sharing
    the background. Neatly composed as well.
    Excellent choice of flower. A personal favorite in just that color range.

If your of a mind and like what you find once again, I do hope you'll
    consider sharing those as well. :D
    Michael
    Thanks for the kind remarks, Neil. I appreciate them very much.

If you'll notice the tall, wispy grass growing along the stream bed in the upper left of the scene, you can tell that the wind was fairly active. My best guess is that the wind is the culprit is causing that one bud to be slightly OOF. I remember that day of shooting very well and I was surprised that any of my shots held focus so well. Just luck.

This shot was made using what is perhaps my favorite lens... a Tokina AT-X Pro 20-35 mm F 2.8. In this case it was shot at 28mm ( 42mm equivalent in 35mm jargon ). I've got a bag full of Nikon high-end glass....none of which are any sharper or better with colors than this Tokina.

I almost always shoot using aperture priority and in this instance that was F-7.....speed at 1/60. ISO was 100. I remember gambling that the relative slow speed could handle the wind. I was lucky to catch a lull in wind velocity. I was using a Nikon D-80 which I only shoot in center-weighted metering as that camera has a pronounced proclivity to over-expose shots using Matrix metering.

Take care,

Tom
    Hi Richard,

I appreciate the nice comment....and the encouragement even more.

Thanks,

Tom
    Well, Michael, I'm here to tell you....that Craig character needs to be kept under constant observation. He's tricky.

Thanks for the gracious comments. You have definitely earned the respect I accord your opinions.

Take care,

Tom
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Thanks for the kind remarks, Neil. I appreciate them very much.

If you'll notice the tall, wispy grass growing along the stream bed in the upper left of the scene, you can tell that the wind was fairly active. My best guess is that the wind is the culprit is causing that one bud to be slightly OOF. I remember that day of shooting very well and I was surprised that any of my shots held focus so well. Just luck.

This shot was made using what is perhaps my favorite lens... a Tokina AT-X Pro 20-35 mm F 2.8. In this case it was shot at 28mm ( 42mm equivalent in 35mm jargon ). I've got a bag full of Nikon high-end glass....none of which are any sharper or better with colors than this Tokina.

I almost always shoot using aperture priority and in this instance that was F-7.....speed at 1/60. ISO was 100. I remember gambling that the relative slow speed could handle the wind. I was lucky to catch a lull in wind velocity. I was using a Nikon D-80 which I only shoot in center-weighted metering as that camera has a pronounced proclivity to over-expose shots using Matrix metering.

Take care,

Tom

You certainly were lucky with a Tv of 1/60, what a risk taker!rolleyes1.gif In fact, I thought it probably was movement blur, but strange how just that one thing is doing it.ne_nau.gif

Thanks for the info. Always very interesting to compare notes.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    :hahaOK... From manly race cars, to elegant motorized carriages of old. Now Flowers :lol4

Craig, get the posse rounded up! Someones got Tom and are posting under his user ID... We've got to go find our pard!

PS: To whomever posted this image: Nice flower image indeed.
    Randy
    Well...it takes a flower shooter to find a flower shooter. Ain't anybody else can track one of those suckers. Besides, I never would have gone down this trail if it hadn't been for this stud I know from Texas who had already sullied his reputation. I'm an innocent victim....just got sucked up in the whirlwind.

Tom
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    This is an outstanding image. Color, detail, and that magical 3D effect!

Sam
    Hi Sam,

It's great to hear from you. Coming from you, I consider your kind remarks to be something special. Thanks.

Take care,

Tom
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    Excellent comp, focus, color, depth of field, etc... ??? Oh I get it, there are no hundreds of people milling around. :)

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    I'm still not covinced, now it that Flower arrangement was on the
    the Hood of a Red Exotic Sports Car I might be a little more accepting,

but I'll just have to wait and see, may need to get Darlene to verify this!!!

I just don't know!!!

Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    Hey Walter,

rolleyes1.gifroflYeah, I hardly know how to act when I don't have the hoards of folks to deal with....not to mention the myriad other distractions that plague my car show activities. I'm definitely out of my comfort zone when there are no cars present.:D

Thanks for the nice comments and support,

Tom
    Craig, you rascal. I warned Michael about how tricky you are....I might have to go to the drums and smoke signals and spread the word all over the place.

The last thing I need is for you and Darlene to join forces.....damn, I couldn't scamper to the hills fast enough.

Take care, buddy

Tom