Move "Friends/Fans" to bottom?

VMacVMac Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited May 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Just a quick question for the CSS experts. I want to keep the "Friends/Fans" listing on my front page, but I would like to move it to the bottom of the page. Is this possible with a simple CSS command?

Thanks,
Vance
Canon gear
vmac.smugmug.com

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    VMac wrote:
    Just a quick question for the CSS experts. I want to keep the "Friends/Fans" listing on my front page, but I would like to move it to the bottom of the page. Is this possible with a simple CSS command?

Thanks,
    Vance
    There is currently no way to do this (well no way using only css certainly). Once the new mods to the home page are released you will probably be able to do it.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    There is no easy way to do this using CSS ... but you CAN do it using Javascript. Let's say that you want to swap out your galleries box with your Friends and Family box (btw, this will NOT work until the new design for the homepage is out); just put this in the javascript section:
    // look to swap after the page is loaded
    onload = swapFF;
    // the swap function
    function swapFF() {
         // look at the body classes, if it is the homepage then swap
         bodyClass = document.getElementsByTagName("body")[0].className;
         if (bodyClass.indexOf("homepage") != -1) {
              swap = document.getElementById("ffBox").innerHTML;
              document.getElementById("ffBox").innerHTML = document.getElementById("galleriesBox").innerHTML;
              document.getElementById("galleriesBox").innerHTML = swap;
         }
    }

Also any styles you have applied specifically to either of those two boxes will NOT swap with them. So if you made the friends and family box have a red background, then the galleries background would be red after the swap.
    edited September 1, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    There is no easy way to do this using CSS ... but you CAN do it using Javascript. Let's say that you want to swap out your galleries box with your Friends and Family box (btw, this will NOT work until the new design for the homepage is out); just put this in the javascript section:
     onload = swapFF;
     // the swap function
     function swapFF() {
               document.getElementById("ffBox").innerHTML = document.getElementById("galleriesBox").innerHTML;
               document.getElementById("galleriesBox").innerHTML = swap;
          }
     }

Also any styles you have applied specifically to either of those two boxes will NOT swap with them. So if you made the friends and family box have a red background, then the galleries background would be red after the swap.
    So uh does that mean that the home page body tag is going to have a class "homepage"???

clap.gif

edited September 1, 2005
    There are LOTS of neat things coming out with this release that I am proud of, just wait ...
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So uh does that mean that the home page body tag is going to have a class "homepage"???

clap.gif
    edited September 1, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    There are LOTS of neat things coming out with this release that I am proud of, just wait ...
    I'm going away tonight and most of tomorrow and I just KNOW this is going to come out when I'm gone. That's how it always happens umph.gif

:D

• VMacVMac Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Okay, any update here? headscratch.gif:D
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited September 2, 2005
    Have you cut and pasted my code up above? It should work. But you should also be able to move your galleries above your friends and family box using the move tools in the top right of each box.
    VMac wrote:
    Okay, any update here? headscratch.gif:D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Have you cut and pasted my code up above? It should work. But you should also be able to move your galleries above your friends and family box using the move tools in the top right of each box.
    Nope, the move tools will only move the galleries down... I don't have anything else down there, so it doesn't make much sense however. I can move it down, then I get a move up option, but nothing really changes.

headscratch.gif

the family/friends and featured galleries do not have the move tool ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited September 2, 2005
    Ok, i think you are right - just use my javascript then :)
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nope, the move tools will only move the galleries down... I don't have anything else down there, so it doesn't make much sense however. I can move it down, then I get a move up option, but nothing really changes.

headscratch.gif

the family/friends and featured galleries do not have the move tool ne_nau.gif
    edited September 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Ok, i think you are right - just use my javascript then :)
    OK, I put it in the Javascript box... but nothing happened. headscratch.gif

Am I pasting it in the right place?
    Erik

edited September 2, 2005
    Send me a link, it works for me:

http://jt.smugmug.com/

DoctorIt wrote:
    OK, I put it in the Javascript box... but nothing happened. headscratch.gif

Am I pasting it in the right place?
    edited September 2, 2005
    {JT} wrote:

Did not work for me either... I tried pasting at the top of my stylesheet and at the end. No luck.

Thanks for trying though. :):
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited September 2, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm going away tonight and most of tomorrow and I just KNOW this is going to come out when I'm gone. That's how it always happens umph.gif

:D
    I just KNEW it would happen that way!

edited September 3, 2005
    {JT} wrote:

doctorit.smugmug.com

weird, I just loaded our pages up next to each other in firefox, and checked out the source code for both. They are identical, the javascript is there in the same place for both our pages, but for some reason, mine doesn't work like yours. Yours loads up, THEN the ff box moves down. Mine just sits there.

still headscratch.gif
    Erik

edited September 3, 2005
    It is not working because you don't have a galleriesBox, you have a categoriesBox. Just swap galleriesBox with categoriesBox in your JS and it will work.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    doctorit.smugmug.com

weird, I just loaded our pages up next to each other in firefox, and checked out the source code for both. They are identical, the javascript is there in the same place for both our pages, but for some reason, mine doesn't work like yours. Yours loads up, THEN the ff box moves down. Mine just sits there.

still headscratch.gif
    edited September 3, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    It is not working because you don't have a galleriesBox, you have a categoriesBox. Just swap galleriesBox with categoriesBox in your JS and it will work.

I just tried this, with still no luck. I replaced both instances of galleries with categories... nothing budged. ne_nau.gif
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
    edited September 3, 2005
    The code needs to go in your javascript box, NOT styles. If you still have problems please provide a link to your site and I can look.
    VMac wrote:
    I just tried this, with still no luck. I replaced both instances of galleries with categories... nothing budged. ne_nau.gif
    edited September 3, 2005
    {JT} wrote:

Details, details... Sweet success!
    Canon gear
    vmac.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    doctorit.smugmug.com

still headscratch.gif

i just looked and yours is working fine, doc :D
    edited December 14, 2005
    I'm dredging up the past... naughty.gif

I remember giving up on this, and just had to go through the whole process again, and found the problem. I did indeed make my FF go to the bottom, but the Featured Galleries also went to the bottom. I don't like that, I want the order to be (top to bottom): bio, featured, galleres, FF. Using this javascript, I get bio, galleries, featured, FF.

umph.gif

with all the updates, is there a more slick way to do this now, by any chance?
    ear.gif
    Erik

edited December 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

I remember giving up on this, and just had to go through the whole process again, and found the problem. I did indeed make my FF go to the bottom, but the Featured Galleries also went to the bottom. I don't like that, I want the order to be (top to bottom): bio, featured, galleres, FF. Using this javascript, I get bio, galleries, featured, FF.

umph.gif

ear.gif
    Keep asking - if it's doable, the stylers or JT will let us know. Thanks thumb.gif
    edited December 14, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Keep asking - if it's doable, the stylers or JT will let us know. Thanks thumb.gif
    Oh great stylers, please give us the power to move the main "boxes" (for lack of a better description) as we see fit.

Pretty please,

with a cherry on top. :D
    Erik

edited December 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh great stylers, please give us the power to move the main "boxes" (for lack of a better description) as we see fit.

Pretty please,

with a cherry on top. :D

Does this help?
    edited December 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

umph.gif

ear.gif
    No change, you'll still need to use javascript to do this.

edited December 14, 2005
    Duh. rolleyes1.gif

I just figured out this morning why my order was messed up. I wasn't moving the ffBox to the bottom, I was switching it with the categoriesBox, so the featuredBox stayed right where it was supposed to, in the middle!!!
    lol3.gif

So for reference, I know now that I can pull another switch and get the order I want, but I've decided I really don't like it. the switch happens after the page loads and looks very uncool to me.

I guess I'm just going back to removing my ffBox from the homepage.

thanks all, for the help. I'll stay tuned for new developments, now that I know what I'm looking for.
    thumb.gif

Disregard...
    I'm pasting my version of the code here, so I have the option of copying it back if I change my mind.
     onload = swapFF;
     // the swap function
     function swapFF() {
     		  document.getElementById("ffBox").innerHTML = document.getElementById("categoriesBox").innerHTML;
     		  document.getElementById("categoriesBox").innerHTML = swap;
     	 }
     }

Erik

• dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    I've tried several times and still can't get this to work??? nothing seems to swap position?? any suggestions?

http://trav.smugmug.com
  • Jill BazeleyJill Bazeley Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Me Too!
    I'd also like to know if there's a foolproof way to move Friends/Family to the bottom!