fire fox vs INTERNET explorer

2»

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up on Xmarks, guys, but as I said, I really don't want a utility that syncs my bookmarks/favorites by copying them all to a third-party web site. It's just one more potential vulnerability in the browser - something that copies what should be private info - my bookmarks and, if I say so, my passwords - to someone else's web server. Why does it need to copy it to the Xmarks server when all I want to do is sync between two browsers on the same PC? I don't really need to sync between my PCs, I do that as part of my regular backup schedule.

I work on four different PC's in three different locations... very nice to have the same set of bookmarks available from all four PC's.

re Passwords.... you can configure XMarks to not synchronize those. Which is what I do.

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    firefox 4.0 beta has a sync option built in
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    basflt wrote: »
    firefox 4.0 beta has a sync option built in

I just checked that out. There's a nice video on Mozilla.com showing how the feature works.

It's undoubtedly a nice feature, but again, it's a feature that copies info from your browser - your bookmarks, history, passwords, whatever you choose - to a web server, allowing you to sync it between PCs and mobile devices. But I don't want that info copied to the web, not to anyone's server. I don't want anyone to have access, in any form, to any info on my PCs, unless I specifically grant them access.

Encrypted or not, protected or not, secure or not, once it leaves my PC it leaves my direct control. And, whenever you enable a piece of software to automatically copy info from your PC to anywhere else, that software then becomes a back door into your system through which bad people can enter and perhaps access more sensitive info, or use my PC as part of a cloud without my permission. It's a security vulnerability, one that I prefer to keep closed as much as possible.

All I want it for Firefox to use Windows Favorites instead of bookmarks.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    Newsy wrote: »
    FireFox is the ONLY Windows OS browser that supports color managed viewing.

And Safari...
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
    save them as a file then , and transfer with a memory-stick or sd-card , no need for sync
    go to bookmarks>organize book marks
    now go to file>export and save the book marks to the computers you want them on
    now, on the other computers, do the same thing except use the import instead of export option
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    There is a reason for the nickname Exploder for Explorer.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    There is a reason for the nickname Exploder for Explorer.
    why ?
    does it explode ?
    explain please , as i did not use it for many years
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Slightly OT but I am not getting answers elsewhere
    To understand my problem with the Gmail Notifier by Google takes quite a bit of explanation so I won't go into it all again here but I am not getting replies on their own forum nor in "The Big Picture" here. So, would some of you be good enough to look at my thread with the title shown below in "The Big Picture" section?
    Anyone using Gmail? I have a recent problem

Thanks in advance

Jane B.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    Newsy wrote: »

Dry those tears: http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1988
  • spanspan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 8, 2010
    FF has plenty of speed and has great addons. Chrome is still very much limited in relations to addons. Sure its quick but are you really the impatient? IE stay away from like the plague in my opinion. It's slow and buggy as hell like every other microsoft product.