Yogi's in Varanesi!

YoungNomadYoungNomad Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited September 16, 2010 in People
Hey everyone! Brand new member of these forums - very quick introduction before I post some photos.

I'm 29, and my fiance and I are traveling through India for the next 3 months. We're semi-retired, so I've been able to devote a bit more time to trying to learn the art of photography.

I'm one of those incompetents - I really only know the bare basics, I mainly know what needs to be where to make a shot look good.

Anyway, enough rambling. I set myself a task to get up and close to as many Yogi's as I could today, and I think the results are pretty cool.

Would love some feedback / critique etc etc. I'm not made of glass, so feel free to rip into these shots :thumb

1008711282_tBpPy-L.jpg

1008712151_MBYsM-L.jpg

1008713622_NzXRJ-L.jpg

1008712748_f4oR8-L.jpg

1008716593_Knbxd-L.jpg

1008717612_PFRp7-L.jpg

Also, there are a few more at tamerik.smugmug.com

Have a great day everyone!!!

Erik :)

13779030_gjdDo#1008716593_Knbxd-A-LB

Comments

• DmanningDmanning Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    Neat shots. Very interesting subject to say the least. I'm not viewing on a calibrated monitor but they seem underexposed. I love the piercing eyes that are in a few of the shots. Some fill flash could probably go a long way because in several of the shots the eyes are just black spots. Can't wait to see more of what you experience there.

Thanks for sharing.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    OH MY GOD!! This cracks me up!! I took photos of the SAME guys in a different town (3&4)!!! Hahahaha.

How did you like Varanasi? Where else are you guys going?

As a general comment, I'd say go down to their eye level. Some of the shots you took were taken from above, and aren't as strong in my opinion thumb.gif

Ans what do you mean by 29 and half-retired?? rolleyes1.gif Uhm, that's a good life!
  • FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    The eyes are fantastic in #2
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • YoungNomadYoungNomad Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    Awesome replies - thanks heaps guys!

Yes - I think the Yogi's wander around quite a bit, they're such awesome subjects to photograph.

I think using a flash would have created too artificial a light source, but I'll give it a shot next time to see how it looks.

I definitely think squatting down a bit more to get them at eye level is a great idea - thanks heaps :)

Semi - retired ... bit of a long story. We run our own real estate agency in Canberra, and are fortunate enough to have it at a size where we don't need to be involved in the day to day running anymore, which has freed up our time to travel and take it easy for the next few years.

Still stressful, but nowhere near as much as working 14 hour days :P

Thanks for all the feedback clap.gif
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Welcome you young semi-retired guy you!

These are as fascinating as the characters in them.
    I would say just get down to their level and the portraits are on their way to being better....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Great shots
    Love the subjects, color and detail. They do seem a bit underexposed. Experiment with your flash. If it looks "too artificial" you don't have it set right. Try a 1 to 2 stop underexposure on your flash compensation, it will amaze you how you get a fill light that doesn't look like a flash. Get low is good comment also, and crop in. Look at the impact the second one has compared to 3 and 4. They look like you are just walking by and literally and figuratively "looking down" on them. Also a lot of dead space around the faces in 3 & 4. If you were just a few inches lower in #2 it would have been a stronger image. Lighting on 2 is nice also. Looks like indirect with maybe a light colored wall behind you filling his face. Less contrast in scene didn't cause your camera to underexpose.

A couple tweaks and you would have some publish worthy shots there. Keep posting, can't wait to see more of India up close and not postcard shots. Good stuff thumb.gif