Options

Freelance Photography

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey guys and gals,
This might seem like a silly question for some but how does one become a freelance photographer?

Currently, I'm someone who enjoys photography and I've never been paid for it. With that said though I wouldn't mind getting a part time job as a freelance photographer or something that I can get paid a little and at the same time grow within the field.

I've been trying to do my part in terms of educating myself so I've taken some photography course as well as photoshop courses.

So how do you guys recommend breaking into the business?

R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Following this board for a while it seems many people slide into freelance work opportunistically. Someone needs a photographer and asks you, maybe because they know your work but maybe because you walk around with a huge weight around your neck and a long lens and look the part. The task could be some baby photos, a local event, or even a wedding.

Typically people worry about what to charge and end-up doing the gig for much less than a professional would ask; often for next to nothing. When you do the job well, someone else will ask you and so the ball starts to roll.

The opportunistic route works but people who succeed soon run into problems because they charge too little, are very vague about their legal and tax liabilities, and mostly because they have no business plan or ideas about marketing. Getting started is not the problem - you simply need the first customer.

You say you are serious about starting your business, so I would recommend making a barebones plan. What kind of customers? What pricing? What service? How to find the next customer (marketing)? Contracts? Tax? Alternatively you could apprentice yourself to a local pro photographer or bureau - backup shooter, photoshop whizz, whatever. Then you get to hone your skills while earning something for every hour and using their kit, so no investments. Unless you know people, you will need a CV and a portfolio and a willingness to knock on their doors until they get sufficiently fed up (or enthused) to give you a break.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    I'd like to ask a clarifying question. What do YOU consider freelance work?

Are you talking about photojournalism for a newspaper?
    Submissions to magazines?
    Sports work (newspaper or magazine or wire service)?

Depending on the specifics of the type of work you want to do, how to get into it will vary.

By the way, this is completely different than "how do I make money" - there are all sorts of other ways to make money - portraits, pet photography, event (parties, retirements, etc...). And then there's the whole microstock aspect.

So, if you could clarify what YOU mean by freelance, people can give you some better answers.
  • Options
    johng,
    I know I'm being a bit general. The problem is that I dont' know enough about the industry to generate an appropriate question to be honest.

When I meant freelance I meant what you described, news, magazines, pro events etc... not pets,food, parties, weddings etc...however I would be interested in that too. Especially food or pets.

What I'm looking for info on is something I can do on weekends/part time. I enjoy photography so why not try and do something that I can make a little money while doing it. If it can pay for my gear or even a yearly vacation, that would be great.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

R.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    I need some clairifying also......What Photo courses have you taken, what did they entail....Uhhhh teach you??
    What equipment do you have.
    Pet photos are really hard to do with out a simple studio at least......1 background (2 of course is better) at least one good light and modifier,
    tripod, wireless shutter release ...........
    To break into this take pix of your pet, friends pet, neighbors pet and when you get all working like a smooth swiss watch adverise or do a special with your vet......
    ifthey have a spare room do x-mas photos and do not charge $5 or 10 but a decent pro amount say for sitting and their pic of 1- 8x`10 say $50...sitting to include
    5-10 poses and include the owner in a few with their beloved pet. will probably need a posing stool or 2 (an adjustable one would be better, but expensive), a small
    table like a coffee table, I paid $20 for my blk one from walmart................i can stand on it
    As for the news part, it is really hard to get to breaking news unless you have a digital police scanner.......until you are creentialed never get in the way of any emergency
    response team to try and get a photo...for that matter even after you are credentialed.......build a portfolio then take that to the news photo editor and see what they say.
    more than likely to get into the news side they may want you to get a degree in journalism....

Shoot......shoot......shoot....shoot.....hone your craft......take one type or area at a time and HONE it......know your equipment inside and out, beable to make needed changes without
    the assistance of light in the dark (meaning without flashlight)...no your limitations........

Good luck...if anything else comes to mind I will add to later,
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Art,
    Thanks for the list of accessories needed for the simple studio.
    I'm using a 5D MKII and I have a 24-105mm f4.0, 70-200mm f2.8, and a 85mm 1.8 prime. I also have a 5 in 1 reflector with a stand. I got it a while back when i was taking pictures of my girlfriend and I was trying to learn on how to manipulate light.

As for the course I took, it was a course offered at a local college where I live. I've taken 2 course with them. I also took and intermediate photoshop course. I try and do a lot of reading as well as shooting, but it usually helps to have a teacher or someone to learn from. Additionally, I just recently found a local group in South Florida that has regular meetings, they put together workshops and of course get together for picture taking. I figured that would be a great place to meet people in the community and also learn. One can only go so far by oneself (usually).

Like I mentioned before, I just enjoy photography so I'm looking to expand a little and maybe make a little money in the process. If I can make enough to pay for my gear and a vacation or so, I would be grateful.

Again thanks for the info.

R.