7D + Speedlight

Michael GardnerMichael Gardner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 18, 2010 in Cameras
OK, my first post here...

I have a Canon 7D and a 430EXII, and I thought you could use this flash off camera with the 7D's built in speedlight transmitter. All I get is a message saying "This menu cannot be displayed. Incompatible flash or flash's power is turned off"

Here are the settings I have on my camera:

Both are turned on
7D's flash is ready.
Wireless func. is set to external + pop up
Flash mode is set to E-TTL II

Help!

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    You can, but it's all controlled by the Built-in Flash menu. I guess the logic is that you're running everything from the built-in flash, which is true. Look for the setting for the internal/external ratio. I use wireless flash on my 7D all the time, it's great.

I've wondered why the External Flash menu shows the message you said, so your question made me finally go look at the 7D manual. Turns out that External Flash does not mean wireless flash. It means "the one plugged into the hot shoe." When I plug my flash into the hot shoe, the External Flash menu becomes available.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    Have you got the 430ex set to slave?

ETA: COlourbox and I posted simultaneously. What he said nod.gif (but check you're set to slave anyway... :D)
  • Michael GardnerMichael Gardner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    Have you got the 430ex set to slave?

ETA: COlourbox and I posted simultaneously. What he said nod.gif (but check you're set to slave anyway... :D)

Thank you colourbox and divamum,

I did not know that the External Flash menu only shows when a flash is in the hot shoe - Thank you! I still can't get my 430EX II to fire wirelessly. And unlike the first gen 430EX my flash does not have the dedicated switch to set the flash to "slave". Could there be some sort of menu option on the flash?

Here are the settings on my 7D:

Menu --> Flash control -->

Flash firing:
    Enable

Built-in flash func. setting:
    Mode: E-TTL II
    Sync: 1st Curtain
    E-TTL II: Evaluative
    Wireless func.: External + Internal
    Channel: 1
    Ratio: 1:1
    Flash exp. Comp: 0

And here are my 430's Flash Settings:

Mode: ETTL
    High Speed Sync & Curtain flash: Off
    Zoom: 105mm
    Ready Light: On
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Manual download here http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-430EX-II-Speedlite-Flash-Owners-Manual.pdf

It appears you have to access the slave setting via the mode and/or zoom button - just search "slave" in the pdf document and it goes right to the relevant pages.

HTH!
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    I do not have a 430, but my 580 infrared receiver blinks red when it's in slave mode. Can you get it to fire when you press the Test Flash Firing button (the picture style button)?
  • Michael GardnerMichael Gardner Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2010
    LIGHT! I SEE LIGHT!!!

Thank you very much colourbox and divamum, works great now!