The Rembrandt lighting is a nice touch. :D

Actually that backlight is pretty cool.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    The Rembrandt lighting is a nice touch. :D

Actually that backlight is pretty cool.

Thanks Joel,

We won't speak too loud, but "somebody's" going on the auction block soon, along with my 5Dc.

Just as soon as I verify my new 7D is going to fit in around here!
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    I really like the lighting in the background. How is that done if you don't mind me asking :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    rwells wrote: »
    Thanks Joel,

We won't speak too loud, but "somebody's" going on the auction block soon, along with my 5Dc.

Just as soon as I verify my new 7D is going to fit in around here!

Heartless b******!:cry

Nice shot!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like the lighting in the background. How is that done if you don't mind me asking :D

Howdy Mary,

I had a 580EXII behind the 30D, which is sitting on a black metal shelf, and another one hand-held in upper right front. I had a CTO gel on the main flash, and the camera set to Tungsten White Balance. This made the non-gelled (rear) flash look blue. Both triggered via STE-2 from my 5D2.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
    NeilL wrote: »
    Heartless b******!:cry

Nice shot!

Neil

I'm not really a gear "seller", so your probably right ne_nau.gif
    Randy
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Well done, Randy. I like the way you handled the lighting on this one.

Every time I'm about ready to unload my old Nikon F4 and F5, I think I see a tear on their face and I can't bring myself to do it. Cutting old friends loose is just darn tough.

I appreciate the riding herd you've been doing.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    Well done, Randy. I like the way you handled the lighting on this one.

Every time I'm about ready to unload my old Nikon F4 and F5, I think I see a tear on their face and I can't bring myself to do it. Cutting old friends loose is just darn tough.

I appreciate the riding herd you've been doing.

Tom

Well, she ain't on the choppin' block yet! Got to make sure this new fangled camera is gonna' work out. Laughing.gif, I don't know how the new 7D couldn't work out, all my 30D did was occupy a space in my bag since I've been on the FF bandwagon. A backup to a backup as it were rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for your input Tom!
    Randy
    edited September 17, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

I had a 580EXII behind the 30D, which is sitting on a black metal shelf, and another one hand-held in upper right front. I had a CTO gel on the main flash, and the camera set to Tungsten White Balance. This made the non-gelled (rear) flash look blue. Both triggered via STE-2 from my 5D2.

Hope that helps...

Whats a CTO gel?

Had to read it twice rolleyes1.gifI'm so slow sometimes.
    Whats a CTO gel?

Had to read it twice rolleyes1.gifI'm so slow sometimes.

Sorry bout that...

CTO gel, is a Cinegel filter sheet of CTO (Color Temperature Orange)

They come in different strengths (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, Full) and are generally used to help match your flash color temp to the available light. In this case with CTO, that would be to correct your flash to Tungsten light temperature.

Normally, you get a sheet and cut out sections to fit over your flash head, or monolight (with holder), etc. There are several companies out there whom have already done this cutting/fitting for you, for a nice fee.

You can get a Rosco swatchbook that has a bunch of different filter "samples" in it. Take out the ones you want to use. Most photogs simply put the gel over their flash head and a small piece of gaffers tape on each side to hold it on. I have several of these gels (of different strenghts) taped to different lens hoods for ready use. When needed, I don't have to find some little "holder/book/whatever", it's right there handy on my lens hood!

You can of course use gels for creative lighting also.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
    Sorry bout that...

CTO gel, is a Cinegel filter sheet of CTO (Color Temperature Orange)

They come in different strengths (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, Full) and are generally used to help match your flash color temp to the available light. In this case with CTO, that would be to correct your flash to Tungsten light temperature.

Normally, you get a sheet and cut out sections to fit over your flash head, or monolight (with holder), etc. There are several companies out there whom have already done this cutting/fitting for you, for a nice fee.

You can get a Rosco sample book that has a bunch of different filter "samples" in it. Take out the ones you want to use. Most photogs simply put the gel over their flash head and a small piece of gaffers tape on each side to hold it on. I have several of these gels (of different strenghts) taped to different lens hoods for ready use. When needed, I don't have to find some little "holder/book/whatever", it's right there handy on my lens hood!

You can of course use gels for creative lighting also.

Hope that helps...

Yep that helps -- I'm so new to this stuff :D

Thanks Randy --- off to find them on the net. Oops....I need a flash first. Geez...there's always something I need to get :D But if I get a flash my flashlight would feel left out.
    Yep that helps -- I'm so new to this stuff :D

Thanks Randy --- off to find them on the net. Oops....I need a flash first. Geez...there's always something I need to get :D But if I get a flash my flashlight would feel left out.

You can put the gels in front of ANY light source ~ Yes, even flashlights thumb.gif
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    Howdy Randy,

That really turned out neat, love the blue back ground.

Nice and Sharp!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas