Anyone notice a slight difference in Sharpness and Color with 7d?

dwookdwook Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 19, 2010 in Cameras
I was shooting the other day with my 7d and noticed something strange...It appears that whenever I shoot in live mode compared to the viewfinder that my shots are sharper and better focused. In addition, I noticed the live mode has warmer color than the viewfinder shots. The way I figured this out is by shooting 2 identical images with the same settings, one in viewfinder and one in live view. I have been trying to figure out why this is so...I have tried doing some tests with my af points to figure out if that is the issue...Can anyone help explain this to me? Does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 16, 2010
    If you have links to full-sized example images with full EXIF, that would be helpful.

There could be a couple of different things happening, depending partly upon your camera setup. Focus may be different because of how you are achieving focus. A description of your focus technique would be helpful.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    If you're using a different mode for the two shots it's also possible the white-balance was set differently.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Is there a possibility light is getting to the meter through the uncovered viewfinder? I have no idea how Liveview works mechanically.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Icebear wrote: »
    Is there a possibility light is getting to the meter through the uncovered viewfinder? I have no idea how Liveview works mechanically.

Good one, John!thumb.gif

There's a little cover you can put over the vf when you take your face away, for just that sort of metering issue.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    +1 on the light and viewfinder thought...I don't know of any in-camera "feature" that would change settings based on viewfinder vs. live view. Regarding the focus, using live view makes it MUCH easier to achieve highly accurate focus. It allows you to use the 5x and 10x zoom to dial in the focus perfectly (assuming you're using a tripod and not just auto focusing w/ live view).
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    gecko0 wrote: »
    +1 on the light and viewfinder thought...I don't know of any in-camera "feature" that would change settings based on viewfinder vs. live view. Regarding the focus, using live view makes it MUCH easier to achieve highly accurate focus. It allows you to use the 5x and 10x zoom to dial in the focus perfectly (assuming you're using a tripod and not just auto focusing w/ live view).

I think geckO is right. I notice the same on my 40D, so I think it is not 7D related as such. Live view has a bigger screen and shows more detail than the viewfinder. You can zoom in to check the fine details. Maybe the color is a different issue, I never had this problem. As Neill said, be sure to cap the viewfinder when using live view. Ziggy also asks a pertinent question.

This is very much in the margins for me. I only use liveview in tricky situations - normally I can rely on the AF and viewfinder with my mental picture of dof. And, with live view I find myself also switching to manual focus very often. Using Auto I am not sure that I ever get two shots that are exactly the same.
  • dwookdwook Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Thanks! ya I will try and cover the viewfinder and do additional tests... This might be why my color and focus is off. What a stupid error on my part...

I decided to do more tests yesterday after making this post trying different AF modes...Still same issue...Its gotta be what John was saying about the eye cover. I will post tomorrow with Jpg's if it continues to be an issue.

Thanks a lot everyone
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    dwook wrote: »
    Thanks! ya I will try and cover the viewfinder and do additional tests... This might be why my color and focus is off. What a stupid error on my part...

I decided to do more tests yesterday after making this post trying different AF modes...Still same issue...Its gotta be what John was saying about the eye cover. I will post tomorrow with Jpg's if it continues to be an issue.

Thanks a lot everyone

If you post the shots you'll likely get a good answer quickly.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    If you post the shots you'll likely get a good answer quickly.

right, can't tell anything without a pic
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    If you are shooting long exposure you should activate "mirror lockup" when using viewfinder, when you shoot long expo in Live view you don't need to enable ML as it is already up.

I have not noticed anything like that on my 7D.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery