Bee Eating Flower Shot...

SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in Holy Macro
At the end of summer, the bee's show up, and eat the centers out of certain flowers. The camera doesn't seem to bother them, and they just keep eating. Here's a shot. C&C is Welcome..... Thank!!

4892900238_83cc05584b_b.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Lovely shot !- you sure they eating the flower rather than just getting nectar from the base of the flower ?
    Brian V.
  • SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Lovely shot !- you sure they eating the flower rather than just getting nectar from the base of the flower ?
    Brian V.

Thanks!!

Yes, I stand corrected. After reading your post, I did some research.
    I found the culprit today, and got a shot. It turned out to be the Xylocopa virginica (Eastern Carpenter Bee). This large bee chews holes through rotting wood to construct its nests. It will sometimes rob nectar from a flower by chewing holes at the base near the nectaries. Larger flowers offering abundant pollen and nectar supplies are especially attractive to it.

5005928593_7f343925ea_b.jpg
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 20, 2010
  • SubanuSubanu Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Thanks!!

I cropped it trying to keep it the same as original size (4310 x 2868). I see what you are saying about the noise. The original isn't this bright, and I plan on getting an external flash. It should improve the quality of my work..

5013325197_c8999b6b45_b.jpg