Why am I getting little dots of random colour in my shots?

MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
edited September 17, 2010 in Cameras
It's almost like little LEDs in the distance. EG: Just above the vehicles in this pic

Is there a problem with the sensor? :scratch

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    If its in the same location in each pic, then my guess is there's a fault in the camera's sensor or software.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Take a shot with the lens cap on, and another of a sky with your focus at closest. Then you'll have something to compare. I didn't see anything in the exif that would give a hint. headscratch.gif Prolly bad pixels.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    "hot" pixels do that...I see them with long exposures when the sensor starts to overheat. It was much more common w/ my XSi, but my 7D still has a few now and then.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • HowzitHowzit Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    Looking at pics 8 & 9 in the bottom left corner I see three dots in an arc and another to the left of that in the same place. Like Richy says they seem to be all over the pics.
  • MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    Thanks for the feedback chaps.

It was very hot - we were in Morocco a week or so ago. The highs were around 57 degree celsius or about 140 degrees F.

In looking at this pic I don't see the dots... and on the coast it was, relatively, a lot cooler - like 35C/95F... so maybe it was the sensor overheating. I will take some pics with the lens cap on and see if I can get more dots.
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    It could have been the heat.

Does your camera have a "Pixel-Mapping" function? I know almost every Olympus SLR does, but I can't speak for other brands. It takes 30 seconds and removes any dead pixels. Might be something to try.