D700 successor?

boulderNardoboulderNardo Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited October 7, 2010 in Cameras
Finally decided to go with Nikon, now waiting to find a good deal.
I remember reading in various threads that there might be a D700 successor coming up?
Anybody dare to guess what kind of timeframe we're looking at? Within the next month or two, end of the year, next year? If it's sooner than later I'd rather wait till the D700 prices drop after the introduction of its successor.

Thanks!
Canon 1D MkII, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 50 f/1.4, Canon 100 f/2
Bogen 055XPROB
Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed AS, FreeLite A, Skyports, 3x Vivitar 285HV

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 17, 2010
    The D700 followed the D3, so when the D3S appeared some folks assumed a D700S would appear soon after. It's anyone's guess when, if ever, a replacement camera might appear.

If you don't need it now, waiting until you do need the camera gives you the best options.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    It could be another whole year, but most likely less than 6 months. PMA 2011 possibly, that's my guess.

But the D700 is already selling for pretty cheap if you look hard enough. I've seen D700's go for $1400 and $1900, both with a battery grip. My point is, there won't be far to fall when a replacement comes because prices are already in the toilet.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Buy what you want, obviously
    but don't chase the latest and greatest. Get what you can afford when you're ready to buy, and just enjoy it. Me - I use a D700 and enjoy every minute I shoot with it, and see no reason to upgrade.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    D700?
    yendikeno wrote: »
    but don't chase the latest and greatest. Get what you can afford when you're ready to buy, and just enjoy it. Me - I use a D700 and enjoy every minute I shoot with it, and see no reason to upgrade.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Non matter how long you are gonna wait for new model that model will be old once is out. Decide what camera might be best for you type of shooting subject and every thing else, then do your homework for the price and buy the camera you need. Sometimes small changes do not add anything to a camera or a car for that matter and you pay premium money and own nothing. clap.gif

Good shooting.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    I have to say if you wait or not the D700 is the current ultimate all around camera.

Why do I say this?

It can do literally anything you throw at it, sports, portraits, landscapes, etc.

The body is rugged, it has amazing AF, great low light performance, and enough MP for most applications.

There are a few areas where you would want or need other cameras but those are the extremes of the field. I love mine and while many times I take the E-620 or S5 Pro out over it the D700 has let me try all sorts of new types of photography.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    It could be another whole year, but most likely less than 6 months. PMA 2011 possibly, that's my guess.

But the D700 is already selling for pretty cheap if you look hard enough. I've seen D700's go for $1400 and $1900, both with a battery grip. My point is, there won't be far to fall when a replacement comes because prices are already in the toilet.

=Matt=

Are you seeing these prices as used or new? Could you advise where you are seeing these prices because I am interested. I did see one oin London Craigslist for less but very wary of buying from a provider in another country. If you live in Vancouver B.C. there are at least six D700s for sale on Craigslist. If anybody lives there, I would consider paying you to handle transaction and shipping for me. I live in Michigan.

Phil Walenga
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Are you seeing these prices as used or new? Could you advise where you are seeing these prices because I am interested. I did see one oin London Craigslist for less but very wary of buying from a provider in another country. If you live in Vancouver B.C. there are at least six D700s for sale on Craigslist. If anybody lives there, I would consider paying you to handle transaction and shipping for me. I live in Michigan.

Phil Walenga

Sean Sherstone the Mod over at the Challenges forum lives on Vancouver island B.C.~
    tom wise
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Get in line behind me and almost everyone I know who is waiting for this camera :) Love my D700 tho!
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010

Phil Walenga
    Very, very sporadic. One D700 was sold through the school. One D700 was sold by a personal friend. Another D700 was in a local shop.

I do also check KEH.com from time to time, just as a "kelly blue book" type gauge of what the going price should be. And right now the KEH price on a good condition D700 is still $2200. So you have that option, and if you're looking for less then you'll have to turn to eBay, Craigslist, or local friends etc...

=Matt=
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2010
    Very, very sporadic. One D700 was sold through the school. One D700 was sold by a personal friend. Another D700 was in a local shop.

I do also check KEH.com from time to time, just as a "kelly blue book" type gauge of what the going price should be. And right now the KEH price on a good condition D700 is still $2200. So you have that option, and if you're looking for less then you'll have to turn to eBay, Craigslist, or local friends etc...

=Matt=
    eek7.gif

I only paid 100 more than that brand new.
    edited October 1, 2010
    eek7.gif

...Which is why I only use KEH as a kelly blue book, and then look elsewhere.

=Matt=
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    My buddy just bought one with 12k shutter for $1,700. Great price on a great camera.
  • firewirefirewire Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    Don't forget that Nikon sells refurbished ones as well:

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/productID.213426900
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2010
    eek7.gif

What that tells you is demand is still up! Market economy!

The thing is about any of the reputable retailer's is, You can send it back.

KEH has a good valuation system.
    tom wise
    edited October 4, 2010
    angevin1 wrote: »
    The thing is about any of the reputable retailer's is, You can send it back.

KEH has a good valuation system.
    ...And that on the other hand is why I like KEH. A guaranteed quality and a no-questions asked return policy. Usually I use KEH to buy older manual focus gear, for my hobby of 35mm film photograph, or misc. things like flashes... For the D700 however, I'll probably be getting my first one from a friend or other direct connection...

=Matt=
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2010
    If you can wait, rumor has it that the D800 will be released in March 2011. 24mp, full 1080p video, new focusing system. :D
    I thought they were going to release it this year but I guess not. :cry
    http://nikonrumors.com/
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 7, 2010
    If you can wait, rumor has it that the D800 will be released in March 2011. 24mp, full 1080p video,
    Or you can buy a Canon 5DMKII with those specs today. mwink.gif
    edited October 7, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Or you can buy a Canon 5DMKII with those specs today. mwink.gif
    ...And have the worst autofocus and speed in any camera costing more than $2000! mwink.gif

(Oh wait the Sony A900 might take the cake in that category?)
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    ...And have the worst autofocus and speed in any camera costing more than $2000! mwink.gif

(Oh wait the Sony A900 might take the cake in that category?)

Ouch!!

Anyhoo, just get the D700. Its a great camera as it is, and, this is spoken by a 5D2 user. *ahem, Matt.* rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited October 7, 2010
    Ouch!!

Anyhoo, just get the D700. Its a great camera as it is, and, this is spoken by a 5D2 user. *ahem, Matt.* rolleyes1.gif
    Are you hinting that I should mention what a great camera the 5D mk2 is, Laughing.gif? ;-)

Honestly, for as much crap as I give Canon for just stuffing more megapixels and HD video into the original 5D, the mk2 is still a great camera and I've shot with it plenty of times. Yes, the focusing and speed stink compared to the D700, but that doesn't mean I can't get the shots I want with the mk2. Just gotta know how to make the camera dance they way you want it to...

=Matt=
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Yep, Canon's 5Dm2 has a pretty bad focusing system. I was surprised when they released it, it has the original system used in the 5d without any improvements. As it stand now, the nikon D700 edges out the canon 5Dm2 in terms of noise and iso speed. The newer nikon will have even greater dynamic range as seen by the smaller sensors just released. Canon is going to have to upgrade their sensor and AF system to keep up.