Yep.... Need Help again

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited September 18, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I just bought an Epson Artisan 810 all in one.

Primary reasons to buy this, are copier capability, and the ability to print on CDs / DVDs.

This will also free up an old flatbed scanner that while it works well (PC), the mfg does not have drivers for Mac, and a Canon 850 that works great, and a Canon i9900 in perfect condition. Also to use the flatbed scanner I have to fire up the old PC scan and then transfer them file to the Mac. A true time waster.

Now to the problem. I am just going through the testing of each feature that I am interested in to verify operation, and While I can scan a document and save it to a file, I can not access the scanner from inside Photoshop or open office???

Does anyone using a Mac own and use an Epson all in one? If so can you access the scanner from within Photoshop?

Yes I called Epson, but all they could say was to call the applications companies.

Thanks!!!

Sam

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    I have the same setup, Artisan 810 on a wireless network with all Mac computers.

The only program that seems able to access the scanner wirelessly is Epson Scan.

Gimp actually will open Epson Scan itself if I try to scan from within Gimp. OpenOffice doesn't even let me try to select a source.
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Sorry, I can't help with your actual problem. But I wanted to say that I have the same printer and have been very satisfied with it! Hopefully you'll get your scanning issues taken care of an you will enjoy the printer.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Here is the update:

After way too many hours I took the thing back.
    I did figure out that Photoshop will access TWAIN compliant devices when opened in 32 bit mode, but not in 64 bit mode.

The bottom line is the Artisan 810 is really a general consumer product with mediocre performance.

I wanted that all in one printer, copier, fax, CD printer, scanner to work!

The scanner and copier was about a C to D on quality. The printer was excellent for print detail, but color was an issue. The CD printing was about a C but lacked the controls to manage the output quality, color, paper, etc.

Overall I was dissatisfied.

Now I am looking for a dedicated flatbed scanner, and a dedicated CD / DVD printer.

Sam