Which wide angle

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited September 19, 2010 in Cameras
I'm looking to upgrade to an FX wide angle. I think my Sigma 10-20 is looking pretty bad, its too slow, and I'm wanting to have a full set of lenses for my D700.

Weight isn't a huge problem I guess, nor is the size.

My only concern is that the 24 end might be a slight be wider than I'd want the max to be.

I know there is a 16-35 but I'm a bit concerned. I've grown to love 2.8 and think the f4 won't be big enough for me. I know there is a big price difference but I feel that these lenses will be around for me for a long time. It might be better to spend the money now rather than get stuck with something i'm not super happy with for a long time.

There is also the 17-35 2.8.

Which would you get? Any other thoughts comments?

I'm not terribly interested in 3rd party brands. Tried Sigma, for example, and generally I am not impressed.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    Are you looking at primes or wide zooms? There are a lot of options with primes. I'm not as familiar with the ultra-wide zoom options. I have the 20/2.8. I loved it on the D300 and at first had a difficult time adjusting to the wide FoV on the D700. But now that I've made the adjustment, 24mm isn't wide enough.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    If landscapes are your thing, you should seriously consider the Nikkor 14-24mm lens. I just spent the week in Yellowstone, and this lens rarely left my D700. Fantastic lens with great sharpness and contrast.

I was thrilled. I rarely used this lens before this trip.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    Mitchell wrote: »
    If landscapes are your thing, you should seriously consider the Nikkor 14-24mm lens. I just spent the week in Yellowstone, and this lens rarely left my D700. Fantastic lens with great sharpness and contrast.

I was thrilled. I rarely used this lens before this trip.

15524779-Ti.gif If you shoot Nikon and you want wide-angle, this is a very desirable lens to have.

A fair number of Canon users pay a pretty penny to adapt it to their cameras too. (Shows you how good it is when people go out of their way to use a lens not made for their camera.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Well, guess I will have to save a buttload but that will be my next lens!