Cleaning filter

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited September 18, 2010 in Cameras
Hello there!

I have a UV filter on my 18-200 Nikkor. Since I use this lens most of the time, the filter has done its job of protecting the lens. It is in the need of some cleaning to remove some smudges. What would be the proper procedure to clean up the filter. (It is a Hoya filter and it does not have any scratches)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Joe :help
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    OK, I'm going to get in trouble. I use pieces of an old white T-shirt (no printing on it) that has been washed, rinsed, and dried without any of those stinky additives that the other gender like to use to make the laundry "smell nice".

I gently breathe on the surface, and wipe very gently with the clean cotton T-shirt rag, taking new clean areas of the cloth.

I then breathe gently again and look for any pattern of smudges that still remain.

Repeat as necessary until the breathing fog is smooth and uniform with no blemishes.

Or you can buy special lens cleaning fluid and spill it all over the place and get the filter all wet. :giggle

Glenn
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    the t-shirt above is ok......if it is really soft from being work...meaning very old worn a lot................

I personally use Zeiss pre-wetted lens cloths, a blower brush, and a Nikon Micro fiber cloth............

I was buying my Zeiss lens cleaners from eye doctor for about 4X what I found I could get them at Wally world for....in their optometry store.
    blower brush from any camera dept or store.....Nikon Micro fiber cloths (also come branded with Kodak, Gander Mtn, Cabelas and others) from Wally world sporting goods...........

If using the t-shirt or micro fiber cloths then a burst of warm breath on the filter to dampen it and not scratch it is best......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website