lights from the heavens revisited

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in Landscapes
Have returned to the arctic for a month, and had the absolute fortune of being here during a rather spectacular aurora flare. While reported just a level 2 (out of 9), the lights were quite bright and had some pretty spectacular formations. I also had the great fortune of being here when it is actually quite balmy, making it much more enjoyable to spend some time to composing and getting the shot right (still working on the best settings, but getting closer).

1. From Devil's Lake
1013150215_zNyGy-L.jpg

2. The Vortac
1013149857_nDbiZ-L.jpg

3. The slough
1013149610_weqNA-L.jpg

4. The Source of drinking water for OTZ

Reportedly, there will be a level 3 on sun and monday, but the near full moon may dampen the lights. Regardless, will be out trying witness, capture and admire this amazing show. Any C&C welcome.

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Beautiful images.

How faithful are these images to what you actually saw with your naked eyes? I've never seen the Northern Lights myself, so I'm wondering how well cameras can reproduce them.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    Very, very, cool!! I just love that last one. If these are a "2", I'm really curious what a level "9" looks like.

Stephanie
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    These are all really really good, my favorite is the last, great comp, and love the reflection. Truly stunning scenery that i hope to witness sometime.

How's that 24 f/1.4 working? It looks like you used it for that last shot.
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    A great set of images. Too hard to pick a favorite.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Beautiful images.

How faithful are these images to what you actually saw with your naked eyes? I've never seen the Northern Lights myself, so I'm wondering how well cameras can reproduce them.

The camera picks up a bit more light than the naked eye (with the right exposure), so it tends to be a bit more brilliant and pick up some of the fainter colors. In this particular case, the lights were quite brilliant, and I was able to see the lights and the colors. PP included some changes in levels, but not colors.
    Very, very, cool!! I just love that last one. If these are a "2", I'm really curious what a level "9" looks like.

Stephanie

I don't know what a 9 looks like either... have seen only a 2. Have gotten reports from friends that even with a level 3 up here they could be multicolored, covering the sky, and feel like they are reaching down. The levels may also represent the geographic distribution of the aurora. Levels 2-4 hit the area of the arctic that I am in (Kotzebue), but the larger it is, the more south it would go, and could be seen as far south as northern US. Of course, I worry that with a level 9, we will all be microwaved by the sun all the while staring in bewonderment lol3.gif
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    These are all really really good, my favorite is the last, great comp, and love the reflection. Truly stunning scenery that i hope to witness sometime.

How's that 24 f/1.4 working? It looks like you used it for that last shot.

the last one is a fave of mine too. just pretty dang lucky to be up here. and the new acquisition is working out great... especially for these types of shots where i want to have a short exposure time to minimize the blur. given my proclivity to night shooting, i've been pretty happy with it.
    Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    A great set of images. Too hard to pick a favorite.

Phil

Thanks. Had a great time shooting it, especially given that it was not -20 out.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Beautiful work!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Beautiful, the colors are spectacular.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Just amazing. I love 'em all. Awesome light and colors, and really great comps. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    Very cool. I used to live in northern Wisconsin, and would occasionally see the northern lights. Nothing quite that brilliant, but beautiful nonetheless.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Awesome shots, Dan! Hopefully I'll get to see something like this one day.
  • grinningsamgrinningsam Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Am in awe! Wishing I'd have the opportunity of shooting an aurora myself someday! Very envious.
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    They are all stunning shots, very impressive!
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    wow!
    love Your Third Shot Best.
    well done and good luck on the best settings ;)
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    I'd love to see another aurora. Keep up the beautiful photos!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    Awesome series of shots. I really like #4. Well done.
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    I'll add my voice to the chorus here, these are wonderful shots! As the others have said, it's really hard to pick a favorite, but I'm probably leaning toward #3 because of the colors of the boat contrasted against the green aurora.

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Yes I agree those are spectacular and nicely done. I too am envious of the opportunity to witness the beauty.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    1013151062_uMVSb-S.jpg

That's it. I'm booking a flight to.... uh, wherever that is.

Seriously though I am already starting to plan the next ultimate vacation so I can cross "Northern Lights" off my life's To Do list. I hear 2011-12 will be excellent. Your shots are turning my anticipation up to 11.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    The last pic is great and my fav. Nice work.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK