More from Marblehead - harbor and beach

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Landscapes
Had a chance to shoot around town today for future entries on my blog. Light was just getting nice with some great sky replacing dull clouds. I'm still in HDR-mode but hope these come out as solid landscapes. Greatly appreciate your thoughts before they get posted on the blog!
E

1. In the harbor
1011831785_crbyf-L-1.jpg

2. Rays
1012417462_d8TFp-L.jpg

3. At the beach
1012665595_E3vLX-L.jpg

4. Fort Sewell
1012417002_Lf2PV-L.jpg

5. Blue - can't decide if I like this one or not:dunno
1011831250_WsmWk-L-1.jpg

Comments

• ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    nice series
    #2 is exceptional.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Like #2 and 3. There is some great color in the rocks in #3. You may want to try and darken them slightly to see if those colors pop out.
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Thank you both - appreciate the comments
    I'll work on bringing up the blacks and contrast a bit more on 3 Tom
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    ashrugged wrote: »
    #2 is exceptional.

I agree. Nice work.
    Thanks Adam! Haven't seen that monkey with lipstick in a while...
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Excellent series, especially #2!
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    Very nice series with #2 being a real standout for me also!!

There does seem to be some halo around the trees on the left side of the picture in #1.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    Thanks Duncan and Ron
    I'll take another look at the first on my monitor at home. I'm usually very careful when it comes to those darn halos but I'm sure I've let a few through...
    E
  • StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    #2 is outstanding!
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    Very nice, realy like #2 also

Doug

http://dougsphotos.smugmug.com/
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Your #1 Shot needs better composition..
    #2 the sun rays are interesting

3&4&5 also needs better composition

Nice Try :)
    Your #1 Shot needs better composition..
    #2 the sun rays are interesting

3&4&5 also needs better composition

Nice Try :)

Appreciate your taking the time to view and comment but would you mind offering some more constructive criticism than 'needs better composition'? What is it about the compositions that needs improvement? Crop, angle...

I do sincerely appreciate everyone that takes the time to comment on my images and am always looking for constructive critiques to improve my shots.

E
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    E,

I've been looking at #4 and I was thinking about some alternate crops. The first would be a sort of pano. The top of the crop would be the top of the white wall and then include just some of the grass in front. That would bring attention to the doors and wall along with the shadows on the right.

My second thought would be a tighter crop concentrating on the right hand set of doors. Again the top would be the top of the white wall, but the left side would be just to the left of the tree. Then include some of the grass to balance. You then concentrate on the details and shadows on the doors.

Just a thought....
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    E,

I've been looking at #4 and I was thinking about some alternate crops. The first would be a sort of pano. The top of the crop would be the top of the white wall and then include just some of the grass in front. That would bring attention to the doors and wall along with the shadows on the right.

My second thought would be a tighter crop concentrating on the right hand set of doors. Again the top would be the top of the white wall, but the left side would be just to the left of the tree. Then include some of the grass to balance. You then concentrate on the details and shadows on the doors.

Just a thought....

Thanks Tom
    I have taken shots of those red doors from various angles and have been unhappy with all but one to datene_nau.gif
    I stopped here briefly before heading up the steps to shoot #2 and concentrated mostly on including that sun draped patch of grass. Tried portrait orientation to include all of the tree but it has few leaves so it didn't quite 'work'. Had a bit wider landscape as well that I cropped to get this. I'll give your ideas a shot when I get there again. I might have to recruit you to come down to shoot with me though mwink.gif
    E

And the one shot I like of the doors:
    457975519_abKPe-M.jpg