Please Help Me with My 7D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 19, 2010 in Cameras
For the past 18 months I have thouroughly enjoyed using my 40D and I feel I have a good knowledge of its use. However, yesterday I received my new 7D and after reading the manual etc etc I decided to use the same settings from the 40D onto the 7D as far as I could that is.
I have found several issues with the 7D and I don't know if I need a setting changed or what. The problem is using Man, AV TV etc when I depress the shutter button halfay to focus and after focus fully depress the shutter button to take the picture I get a delayed action of about 30 seconds and then a symbol appears in the bottom left of the LCD and the shutter clicks as if it has taken a picture but it hasn't. However, if I fully depress the shutter button to take the picture and then imediately fully depress the shutter button again it takes the picture. I have tried using Auto mode and CA mode and the camera takes pictures no problem at all.
I have other issues but I would appreciate help with this one if anyone could oblige.
Kind Regards
Bob

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Are you mistakenly in the delayed timer mode (and have the beep off so you're not aware of it?) I've done that by mistake a couple of times and it took me a while to figure it out!

Alternatively, do you have it set for live view even though you're not using it?

Don't have the manual to hand, but those are the first two things that spring to mind.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Or you may have bracketing inadvertently set.
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    Are you mistakenly in the delayed timer mode (and have the beep off so you're not aware of it?) I've done that by mistake a couple of times and it took me a while to figure it out!

Alternatively, do you have it set for live view even though you're not using it?

Don't have the manual to hand, but those are the first two things that spring to mind.

Hi there Diva. I don't have it set for Live View as I have never used this facility. I have checked the Beep and I have tried taking a picture with it on and off and it makes no difference. I have the Silent Shooting disabled and I see the metering timer is on 4 seconds.
    Regards
    Bob
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Or you may have bracketing inadvertently set.

Hi there Dan,
    The only place I have the AEB bracketing is on my menu settings in the list on the star on the end of the menu.
    It runs in my mind that this same problem occurred when I purchased my 40D but I haven't a damned clue what I did to rectify the problem.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    It's hard to say what might be causing what you are seeing. It might be best to go back to the factory default setting and see if the shutter button works as expected.

Press the menu button, then use the little joy stick to move over to the 9th select from the right. There you will see a "Clear all camera settings". Select that. Then on your lens select manual focus, so auto focus won't get in the way. On the camera select M set up may f8, 1/60sec. Then do the half shutter, wait then full and the shutter should click. Of course your not using AF.

Then select AF on the lens at try it again.

If everything in this case works as expected at least you camera is working. Then go though your setting up our settings.

canon400d wrote: »
    For the past 18 months I have thouroughly enjoyed using my 40D and I feel I have a good knowledge of its use. However, yesterday I received my new 7D and after reading the manual etc etc I decided to use the same settings from the 40D onto the 7D as far as I could that is.
    I have found several issues with the 7D and I don't know if I need a setting changed or what. The problem is using Man, AV TV etc when I depress the shutter button halfay to focus and after focus fully depress the shutter button to take the picture I get a delayed action of about 30 seconds and then a symbol appears in the bottom left of the LCD and the shutter clicks as if it has taken a picture but it hasn't. However, if I fully depress the shutter button to take the picture and then imediately fully depress the shutter button again it takes the picture. I have tried using Auto mode and CA mode and the camera takes pictures no problem at all.
    I have other issues but I would appreciate help with this one if anyone could oblige.
    Kind Regards
    Bob
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Do you have mirror lock up enabled, perhaps?

Reset the camera to factory defaults and see if that doesn't resolve the issue, Bob.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    pathfinder wrote: »

Reset the camera to factory defaults and see if that doesn't resolve the issue, Bob.

This was the first thing I thought of - because I use MLU quite a bit and usually forget to disable it. The next time I shoot it's "OMG I forgot MLU was on".

The advice to reset to factory defaults can solve other problems too - when my 30D still smelled new, it seemed that something was wrong. I went back to the camera store where the manager did a reset to default. It's worked flawlessly ever since (four years ago).

And if this still fails, remove both batteries, and then reinstall them (you'll have to reset the time, date, etc).

When the OP said, " . . and when I fully depress the button to take a picture . . . ", I thought - "wonder if he knows about the star button for focusing?" Once I tried it, I never again used the shutter button for focus.

Glenn
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    pathfinder wrote: »

Thanks Pathfinder and everyone else. It was the Mirror Lock Up that was causing the problem. I can remember now I had the very same problem when I purchased my 40D and it was the Mirror Lock up then once I disabled it no problem. Thanks once again.
    Kind regards
    Bob
  • Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    Bob:

Trust me on this, but you're going to do this again (based on my own experience).:D

G
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
    edited September 20, 2010
    Glenn NK wrote: »
    Bob:

Trust me on this, but you're going to do this again (based on my own experience).:D

G

Yeah I am sure you are right Glen.
    Cheers
    Bob