more revisited-Old Stone Fort

stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Landscapes
From a couple weeks back

There is a state park (Old Stone Fort) that backs up behind my house so I often venture over there for some physical exercise and/or to stretch my photographic skills. Patiently (well maybe not) waiting for some fall colors and noticed that a specific time of day, the light is particularly good below the spillway resulting in some nice colors. Not sure if the sweet light is due to the time of year as I have never noticed it before. Anyways, had some fun and thought I would share.

1013884909_L9LYD-XL.jpg

1013882847_tKbsy-XL.jpg

and a little further downstream

1013880553_w5QMo-XL.jpg

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    I like the golds you are getting in #1 and 2.
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    Thank you. :)

-Jon
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    as for me the third catch was the Best :3
    coz it fills the frame with nice flowing water, as of the first & second Shots the composition there were not that good, i mean there is some space in the foreground (first Shot) and distracting trees in the second one, well thats how i see it!

but nice Try :)
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    The golden reflection on the water is a really nice touch thumb.gif
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    I don't really see the fort, but I really like the falls and golden light. Where is this?

Mike
    flickr
    I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!
  • stirinthesaucestirinthesauce Registered Users Posts: 293 Major grins
    Thank ya'll for the feedback.

This isn't a fort, per se. It is an ancient Indian ceremonial spot located between the Duck River and Little Duck Rivers in Manchester, TN. The stone walls of the ceremonial grounds were confused by settlers as a fort. Hence the name. Along this stretch, there used to be an old paper mill that supplied most of the south with paper during the Civil War. It is long since gone but the ruins are still visible. The spillway was added pre-park days.

There are lots of opportunities for fun with the camera here so I find myself almost weekly visiting.

FWIW, #3 is my favorite as well. The composition is most definitly lacking in the first 2 (especially #2) but are giving me ideas for a repeat visit in the coming weeks.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

-Jon