My set up

AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
edited September 20, 2010 in Holy Macro
Below is a picture of my set up right now. I am including a pic I took today of a Bee. I didn't get a good shot, he was off after 2 clicks. But the light is good I think? What do you guys think or do you have any suggestions?
[URL="[IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq305/ambrola/IMG_0002.jpg[/IMG]"]IMG_0002.jpg[/URL]
bee77.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Setup looks similar to many I have seen. Main point is whether you like the results you are getting.
    Light in the pic looks ok although it is fairly shadowed (ie looks like the flash head is quite far over on the left of the camera). You'd get more even light if you could get the diffuser closer to the lens.
    Brian V.
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    Setup looks similar to many I have seen. Main point is whether you like the results you are getting.
    Light in the pic looks ok although it is fairly shadowed (ie looks like the flash head is quite far over on the left of the camera). You'd get more even light if you could get the diffuser closer to the lens.
    Brian V.
    I was thinking about making a diffuser that I would have more control over. The end of the softbox is a little to big? Does it help to have the light over the lens or off to the side?
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    Ambrola wrote: »
    I was thinking about making a diffuser that I would have more control over. The end of the softbox is a little to big? Does it help to have the light over the lens or off to the side?

You need a largish softbox with a longer focal length lens (guessing that's a sigma 150mm ?).
    I like the light to be coming slightly from the side as that way you can avoid string shadows under the bug but obviously this depends on the camera orientation. I often purposely shoot at more of an angle to make sure the light is also getting under the bug.
    Brian v.
    You need a largish softbox with a longer focal length lens (guessing that's a sigma 150mm ?).
    I like the light to be coming slightly from the side as that way you can avoid string shadows under the bug but obviously this depends on the camera orientation. I often purposely shoot at more of an angle to make sure the light is also getting under the bug.
    Brian v.
    It is a Nikon 105VR with Kenko tubes. Here is the pic straight out of the camera. 1 full stop of neg compensation on the flash at 20 Apeture. The box sometimes limits me as the critters are in the flowers? The box will hit something and scare them off.
    DSC_0016.jpg
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    in first pic , of your setup , looks like you use a filter ?
    basflt wrote: »
    in first pic , of your setup , looks like you use a filter ?
    No filter, just a lens cover. Will that effect the pictures??
    i meant very first pic
    i see something at your lens that i dont see on mine
    it looks like a filter

as for the bug , the one in post #5 looks better to me
    basflt wrote: »
    i meant very first pic
    i see something at your lens that i dont see on mine
    it looks like a filter

as for the bug , the one in post #5 looks better to me
    Yes, thats a lens cover. Just clear glass to protect the lens. I've always had it on, I wonder if it effects the pictures?
    i see , sort of a no-cure filter
    in some circumstances it can have effect ,as a flare , but often not
    the glass of your lens is very hard , and will not easily be scratched
    but , if you afraid for that , and you see no different you might as well keep it on
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    it appears to me that the direction of flash is pointing too far in front of where the lens will be focusing, can you angle the bracket so the flash gun is further towards the lens end? then point the diffuser downwards.
    i alter mine constantly depending on magnification/focus distance
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    it appears to me that the direction of flash is pointing too far in front of where the lens will be focusing, can you angle the bracket so the flash gun is further towards the lens end? then point the diffuser downwards.
    i alter mine constantly depending on magnification/focus distance
    I just had it pushed on the flash in the picture. I try to adjust it when I find a subject to shoot. I'm thinking of making my own diffuser, the box is too big. The insects are going away now, just the Bumble Bees and a few Butterflys left. The flowers in the garden have all gone to seed, and void of the pretty critters that stay here. From what I am hearing, the seasons are different in Europe that the US? Its cold at night(50's) then up to high 80's in the day. Fall is on the way.
    PS: A ball head would help wouldn't it?? Where do you find them?
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    autumn is coming here also, plenty of insects around for next month atleast:D

a mini ball head would help alot, i found 2 better than 1.
    you should be able to pick one up from any good camera store/online
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    autumn is coming here also, plenty of insects around for next month atleast:D

a mini ball head would help alot, i found 2 better than 1.
    you should be able to pick one up from any good camera store/online
    Thanks Phil. I look at B&H.