Not sure if I like this or not.

iCandiiCandi Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited September 21, 2010 in People
I took this shot and have had a lot of great compliments on it.

However, I'm not really sure if I'm feeling it. It looks nice, but it's missing that pizazz. Hmm?

33yq3vc.jpg

i.Candi by Mandi Photgraphy
Seymour, IN

Comments

• iCandiiCandi Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Maybe if I were to have come at it at another angle I would have liked it a little better? Just can't quite put my finger on it.

i.Candi by Mandi Photgraphy
    Seymour, IN
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    I like the idea, and it is a very pretty photo.
    But I wish the couple stood out a little bit more.
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Crop the bottom off to halfway up the couples bodies.
    The foreground is kinda dull....
  • KsjonesKsjones Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    yeah, it's not bad.
    I do agree with zoomer. Maybe if it was shot from a lower angle with the couple against the sky instead of the ground?
    My Website

-K. Spencer Jones
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    I like the idea (though be careful shooting directly into the sun too much with your DSLR)

It would have added a bit to it to have taken the shot at a lower vantage point so the couple stood out more.

Either way still a nice capture!
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    ^^ I'm not going to agree with any of those yahoos :P

If you had used a portable flash for fill, you could have brought the power of the sun down and brought the couple out in the picture. If I were gonna shoot a different angle, I would have either cross lit the couples (the sun as one light and again with fill) or used the couple to block the sun completely and used the sun as flare again bringing it down as needed with fill to give detail to the couple...

Unless you were shooting for a silhouetted effect, in which case, ignore me. :D

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    I like the concept but it lacks that extra bit of drama as you mentioned.
    Per haps shot at an angle where the couple was the main point of interest and shot with spot metering on in A or S priority.
    This will make the image much darker and give you a silhouette of the couple and black out most of the uninteresting background.
    Just an idea....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    This shot is neither here nor there. Either make it a silhouette and shoot the couple against the sun and sky, or give the couple some lighting so they stand out better against the background. As it stands, the sun is the focal point here and the couple look like an afterthought.
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    I believe this photo falls in the middle as well. It's not a full on silhouette, but there is hardly any detail with the couple. If it were silhouette, that'd be one thing, but there's enough detail in the couple that it just seems underexposed. I agree that if you werent going for a silhouette shot, you should have filled the couple in with flash. You would have had the beautiful sky/sun in the background, but the couple would be exposed properly.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • MKDMKD Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2010
    The eye is automatically drawn to white areas in a picture and this is what I think is happening with your picture, nice idea keep trying........ what you could try is taking the shot at an angle from behind a tree or something blocking the light and photograph the effect of the sun rather than the actual sun.....

Mike