19 Point AF on 7D

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited September 20, 2010 in Cameras
Having read the manual on my 7D regarding the 19 point AF I must admit I am still somewhat confused. In the past I used the central point on my 40D 99% of the time and I was quite happy with this.
I have set the central point on my 7D. Am I missing out on something regarding all these other points. In simple terms when should I consider using these other AF points? Your views and advice would be well appreciated.
I have spent the last two days reading the manual and making myself familiar with the 7D and I am sure I am going to enjoy using this camera. I have retained the 40D as a back up.
Kind regards
Bob

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    For birds...flying=center...perched=center spot.

Works for me anyway.:D For wildlife I have found no use for zone af. One thing that is handy though is the ability to have a different af point in portrait (verticle). So I can focus on a herons head and still get the rest of his body in the frame. Center is still the most reliable.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    I typically use the other focus points when I want to compose my shots with the subject off-center. It's more accurate to do this vs. focusing and recomposing off of the center point.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    The center point is the most sensitive. If you are using a single point to focus sometimes moving it lets focus on something that is off center and and up with a better composition. There is a custom setting (that I can't remember at the moment) that let's you move the focus point around while you are looking through the viewfinder, with the joystick on the back.

canon400d wrote: »
    Having read the manual on my 7D regarding the 19 point AF I must admit I am still somewhat confused. In the past I used the central point on my 40D 99% of the time and I was quite happy with this.
    I have set the central point on my 7D. Am I missing out on something regarding all these other points. In simple terms when should I consider using these other AF points? Your views and advice would be well appreciated.
    I have spent the last two days reading the manual and making myself familiar with the 7D and I am sure I am going to enjoy using this camera. I have retained the 40D as a back up.
    Kind regards
    Bob
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    There is a custom setting that let's you move the focus point around while you are looking through the viewfinder, with the joystick on the back.

I did not know that! Thanks...now I gotta look it up.thumb.gif
    Menu, 10th from the left, Cn Fn IV, Custom controls, AF Direct Point Selection.

Not from memory, I grabby my camera...:D
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    I did not know that! Thanks...now I gotta look it up.thumb.gif
    Menu, 10th from the left, Cn Fn IV, Custom controls, AF Direct Point Selection.

Not from memory, I grabby my camera...:D

SET! Thanks...this should be a big help in the field. Can't wait to try it...but the weather here says I'll have to.

BTW...this is the last available setting (as you indicated) and mine was labled "not set" and changes to "af direct point selection" after you change the setting...in case others are having a hard time finding it.
    Oh, there's another custom setting you can use to change the weather. As soon as I get a chance I'll look for it:D:D:D
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    SET! Thanks...this should be a big help in the field. Can't wait to try it...but the weather here says I'll have to.

BTW...this is the last available setting (as you indicated) and mine was labled "not set" and changes to "af direct point selection" after you change the setting...in case others are having a hard time finding it.
    Oh, there's another custom setting you can use to change the weather. As soon as I get a chance I'll look for it:D:D:D

Hey...let's get on that asap!!! wings.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    gecko0 wrote: »
    I typically use the other focus points when I want to compose my shots with the subject off-center. It's more accurate to do this vs. focusing and recomposing off of the center point.

nod.gifthumb.gif
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »
    nod.gifthumb.gif

Thanks everyone for your views and advice that really has put my mind at ease.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    gecko0 wrote: »

Specifically, if you use narrow depth of field, your rotation of the lens during using the center point and recomposing can actually angle your subject out of the in-focus zone. In these cases, composing first and using the closest non-center point can improve accuracy. Linked explanation:
    http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

If you usually shoot with deep depth-of-field, I wouldn't worry about it so much, keep using that center point.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    colourbox wrote: »
    Specifically, if you use narrow depth of field, your rotation of the lens during using the center point and recomposing can actually angle your subject out of the in-focus zone. In these cases, composing first and using the closest non-center point can improve accuracy. Linked explanation:
    http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

If you usually shoot with deep depth-of-field, I wouldn't worry about it so much, keep using that center point.
    Yep, "focus+recompose" is the devil, and I never do it if I can avoid it. I'd rather use manual focus than focus+recompose, depending on the situation...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Yep, "focus+recompose" is the devil, and I never do it if I can avoid it. I'd rather use manual focus than focus+recompose, depending on the situation...

=Matt=
    Thanks ColourBox and you too Matthew a very sound piece of advice which I will certainly keep in mind.
    Cheers
    Bob