Southern Utah

ktbluektblue Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 26, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi! I am just starting out, and would love any advice you may want to offer. I have a Nikon d700, and these shots were all shot this August with a Tamron 17-35mm wide angle zoom. I'd have preferred more "subject" matter for the foreground (not a cowboy, steer skull or tumbleweed to be found that trip ;) That said, I'd love to know where you think I could improve, technically or subjectively. Thanks everyone! Kate

1006706311_Vr3Ju-L-3.jpg
Sun cresting the Court of the Patriarchs, Zion Nat'l Park

1005055087_X6CCQ-XL-5.jpg
Red Cliffs outside Moab, Utah

1003763340_f5HVL-XL-9.jpg
Jade river at Mossy Cave, Hwy 12 Utah

1003774493_HPYa2-XL-9.jpg
Red Canyon Rider, Utah

1003679362_4GrqS-XL-9.jpg
Narrows, Zion Nat'l Park. (shot with Lumix point/shoot)

1005593993_NkMBU-L-3.jpg
Capitol Reef Nat'l Park

1002486927_4zFZY-XL-9.jpg
General Store, Torrey Utah

1003698434_Uy4UM-XL-10.jpg
Mesa arch at sunrise, Canyonlands

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    hi Kate,

some pretty nice stuff there... that's a gorgeous part of the country, with so many photo ops it's unreal. i love the old wagon, and the Narrows at Zion look like a wonderful spot! your shot of the river on the Mossy Creek trail is a bit different from the ones i got a couple of years ago from the other side of the river, and i like the more "straight upstream" perspective you got.

how do you like the Tammy 17-35 on your D700? i find on my Canon 5D (also full-frame) that it's very soft in the corners, and gets kinda dark and fuzzy especially at apertures wider than about f/8. i can see some of that in your first image here...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    #1 is it really Gold mountain??! O.o

#2 didnt like the composition here (sorry)
    #3& 5&6&8, better composition, and work with the colors :3
    My Fav are 8 and 6 ;)

well done
  • ktbluektblue Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    #1 is it really Gold mountain??! O.o

Yes, that's not color corrected. at the crack of sunrise, that ridge in Zion glows golden orange. The exposure was pretty high though -- looks a bit lighter in the shot than it did to the eye. Thanks for the feedback, it's all helpful. I'm trying to learn what elements make for a good landscape. This was my first attempt.
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    ktblue wrote: »
    Yes, that's not color corrected. at the crack of sunrise, that ridge in Zion glows golden orange. The exposure was pretty high though -- looks a bit lighter in the shot than it did to the eye. Thanks for the feedback, it's all helpful. I'm trying to learn what elements make for a good landscape. This was my first attempt.
    wow!!

good luck on getting your best shot
    and you are welcome :3
  • StashStash Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    Some very nice shots. I think #2 might have worked better if you had zoomed with your feet and gotten over top of that fence line. Maybe show us what is to the right of the frame?
    My $.02 cents, but I'm learning as well. That D700 is one sweet tool!
    C&C always welcome. I can't learn if I don't know what I've done wrong or could do better.

http://donbirch.smugmug.com/
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    Kate-
    I really like the Narrows shot!
    The first three could be improved by moving in closer. I found that the ultrawides often need a strong foreground element and you have that in the wooden fence but the foreground sand/shrubs detract from it a bit. with the first one, getting into that clearing would have kept some of the shrubs from cluttering and distracting from the focal point.
    The motorcycle is nice but that darn sign....
    As for Mesa, you did well with a single exposure. That area has such a humongous dynamic range that HDR/exposure fusion might offer you some very interesting possibilities.
    E
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Nice! I like the wagon shot as well, but I keep wondering what that mountain behind looks like. Maybe this could have been shot as a vertical with the wagon as the foreground and mountain as background. Hard to say without actually being there :)

I really like the narrows shot (except for the person behind the foilage.) I very rarely include people in landscapes, but this could work if the person were in full view maybe further back in the canyon. I think if the person were closer it would cause distraction of the overall image. Great compostion. Were you standing in the water for this shot? I've been wanting to hike that canyon.

Keep it up.
  • ktbluektblue Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 22, 2010
    Thanks so much for the commentary--really helpful, and I appreciate the time you took to help. I actually do have many other angles and exposure types on all these shots. I won't post them, so as not to spam the board, but I will adjust my portfolio accordingly. Something I was loving about Utah was all the dramatic colors you'd see in one eyeful: green, blue, red, yellow--thus, in the first shot, for example, I chose to leave in the (boring) foreground for the purpose of getting a green element into the wholistic image to demonstrate this full color range in some of these shots. However, what I'm hearing is perhaps that's less important than assuring there's always a foreground element....

Thanks again everyone!!
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    The pics are great!
    I think the foreground can be important for including additional colors not otherwise in the shot - please don't be dissuaded from doing that.
    Thanks,
    Larry