Hot Street Art

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This artist was absolutely AMAZING!!!

He paints all the paintings you see on the sidewalk with spray-paint :huh

Then, he takes a piece of folded paper and smears the wet paint. That's his "paintbrush". I was standing there watching him work his magic, but couldn't quite believe what my eyes were taking in. Then, for some unknown to me reason, he heats-up the paintings in an unusual way.

I was out testing my new, new (meaning; my replacement 7D ~ first one had unbelievable noise even at ISO 200).

Shot with 7D ~ 35L @ f/1.4 ~ ISO 3200 ~ 1/8000 on the flames shots
Camera was focused, lens then switched to manual focus & motor-drive on high.
Randy

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Cool shots! mwink.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    wow!!!
    i was like checking the images for 3 times now, to see how did he do THAT!! O.o

seriously Art!! have different Ways in life!!
  • StephanyStephany Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    I would like to know also what on earth this guy is doing? It looks like a volatile affair to me, if he is using paper that is. Your photos are always interesting and a pleasure to look at.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    aj986s wrote: »
    Cool shots! mwink.gif

Thanks Tony!
    Randy
    wow!!!
    i was like checking the images for 3 times now, to see how did he do THAT!! O.o

seriously Art!! have different Ways in life!!

The guy is amazing!
    Randy
    Stephany wrote: »
    I would like to know also what on earth this guy is doing? It looks like a volatile affair to me, if he is using paper that is. Your photos are always interesting and a pleasure to look at.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks for looking and commenting Stephany!
    Randy
  • LarryPLarryP Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    This guy used to have a spot set up in New Orleans around the French Quarter. He went by the slogan Can-Gogh. http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html

Very interesting story about him on the web site.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    Howdy Randy,

Looks like the new addition to your Arsenal is going to get you more
    wonderful low light shots, can't believe that high ISO and Shutter Speed,
    it almost turns night into day!!

Great series, love the Flames!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Motor drive on "high" ne_nau.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    Wonderful documentation in this series, Randy. I'm somewhat stunned to see this guy using open flame so near a bunch of flammable materials.

It's interesting to me to see all the quality issues you're having with Cannon stuff.... several lenses and now the 7D situation. Some dept. is slipping up somewhere. They better get that straightened out.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited September 22, 2010
    LarryP wrote: »
    This guy used to have a spot set up in New Orleans around the French Quarter. He went by the slogan Can-Gogh. http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html

Very interesting story about him on the web site.

Thanks Larry for the additional info thumb.gif
    Randy
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Randy,

Looks like the new addition to your Arsenal is going to get you more
    wonderful low light shots, can't believe that high ISO and Shutter Speed,
    it almost turns night into day!!

Great series, love the Flames!!!

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the input. Still testing out the new(est) 7D!

The high ISO is not close to my 5DMkII for low noise, but a 1.6 crop does have some advantages of it's own thumb.gif
    Randy
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Motor drive on "high" ne_nau.gif

Not exactly sure what you mean here Dan,

Might be my outdated terminology: Motor drive ~ Older SLR's were hand advanced unless you installed an optional "Motor Drive".

Current terminology:
    Drive Modes: Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous

I focused on the artist, switched the lens to manual focus so that it wouldn't be hunting, set the shutter to "H" (8 fps). Then I waited until he started to light the flames, and I held the shutter for a few shots.

On the series I posted above, some of the continuous images were left out due to a lot of similarities, more so than what's posted above.

If I didn't answer your question, please let me know...
    If I've missed your point and this was usless ~~~ Nevermind rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
    Wonderful documentation in this series, Randy. I'm somewhat stunned to see this guy using open flame so near a bunch of flammable materials.

It's interesting to me to see all the quality issues you're having with Cannon stuff.... several lenses and now the 7D situation. Some dept. is slipping up somewhere. They better get that straightened out.

Take care,

Tom

Yeah, it surprised me too when I first witnessed him lighting the flames so close to those other cans eek7.gif

I've said before, and I think it might hold some water: In the last 3.5 years, I've noticed Canon's QC slipping a lot. I started seeing real issues with new gear that I was buying. Body issues, lens issues...

The Pro Shop that I buy a good bit of gear from, (also where I bought the 7D), stated in conversation that they see this same thing with Canon's QC slipping. They stated that Canon sold more Rebel level camera's last year than Nikon sold all told. With that kind of production, it would/is hard to ensure strict QC on products.

In the last 3 weeks, I've purchased/tried (3) 85L f/1.2 lenses. None would focus correctly, and I'm not talking about just needing Micro-Adjustments, I'm talking about out of 5 shots, you'd consistently get 2 that were dead-on, and 3 that were a mixture of either front or back focusing. (A front/back focus spread of approx. 5" @ a test target at 8') These lenses were tried on 3 different bodies with the same results. You buy a wide aperture lens to shoot wide open, or close to it. At f/1.2 ~ f/2, you don't have 5" of DOF to play with at portrait distances.

I then moved down my list to the 35L. The second copy was acceptable, the first copy tried did the same as mentioned above about the 85L.

I'd like to get an 85L, but Geez...

I'm not paying $2,000.00 for a lens that you can't count on for accurate focus. Matter of fact; I'll not own a lens that isn't stellar deal.gif

Latest: Canon 7D ~ abundant/unacceptable amount of noise, even at ISO 200. Shoot the sky at ISO 200 and the noise looked like ISO 3200 was used. Pro Shop tested another camera out of the case, and in their words "your camera shows about 300% more noise at ISO 200 than this copy". They swapped the camera out for a different unit.

Come on Canon!!!

Oops, got a little side-tracked there...
    Randy