Half Dome @ Night

FlyFisher70FlyFisher70 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited September 21, 2010 in Landscapes

Comments

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    I think this shot sorta defines "negative space" :-)

I like it, though I'd probably crop in tighter. Certainly tight enough to remove the trees from the sides of the shots. But I do like the sky and Half Dome for sure!
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    yub agree with CatOne, better if it was tighter or if you want to add the trees make it with better composition :3
    the stars also looks nice! needs more exposure time..

but Nice Try :)
  • FlyFisher70FlyFisher70 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    CatOne wrote: »
    I think this shot sorta defines "negative space" :-)

I like it, though I'd probably crop in tighter. Certainly tight enough to remove the trees from the sides of the shots. But I do like the sky and Half Dome for sure!

I'll try and remember about the negative space next time I'm out in Yosemite. I see that if I cropped out the trees on the sides it would look better. It's tough for me to crop out the sky since I was trying to capture the stars as well as Half Dome, I do see what you mean about negative space though. Thanks for the advise, I really appreciate all input.
    yub agree with CatOne, better if it was tighter or if you want to add the trees make it with better composition :3
    the stars also looks nice! needs more exposure time..

but Nice Try :)

I agree the composition is way off, I don't agree a longer exposure would be better, this shot is already a 30 second exposure. At 30 seconds it's already starting to capture the movement of the Earth, I was thinking 20 second would be more in the line of not getting as much movement. Longer exposure will begin to capture star trail, which I don't particularly like. Thanks for the advise.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins

I agree the composition is way off, I don't agree a longer exposure would be better, this shot is already a 30 second exposure. At 30 seconds it's already starting to capture the movement of the Earth, I was thinking 20 second would be more in the line of not getting as much movement. Longer exposure will begin to capture star trail, which I don't particularly like. Thanks for the advise.

I don't think the composition is _way_ off, and it should be a simple crop to get rid of them. If you set up a crop for the same aspect ratio, you could probably get 85% of the frame in the picture if you just cropped out the edges and about 1" off the top. It'd look a lot better as then the focus is half dome and the sky, and not the black scraggles at the sides. It's best to make it obvious to the viewer what the subject of the photo is, and in this case it's half dome and the sky.