My "Strobist" Setup, on Steroids!

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited September 25, 2010 in People
I finally got a Vegabond II! My AB800's are finally gonna be more than just Carpet Weights sitting in a bag in the corner of my basement! I got them thinking I would be doing studio sessions like a mad man on speed, but the basement studio got taken over and I cant afford to rent a place yet. So I've just been doing on location stuff with reflectors and with an SB-600 with the stand and umbrella in the picture bellow.
1015851952_eukQm-XL.jpg
A picture of my new one light on location setup (I need a new umbrella)
1015852822_XSraA-XL.jpg
Now I just need a light meter.. well.. the list of "needs" will never end I guess.. :rofl
Jer

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2010
    Yum-yum, you gonna show us some results too? :eat
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Yum-yum, you gonna show us some results too? :eat

I just got it today haha.. havent had time to use it on someone yet. But I will definitely post results when I have some!
    Jer
    I just got it today haha.. havent had time to use it on someone yet. But I will definitely post results when I have some!

Haha. well, glad you didn't make neighbors cat suffer rolleyes1.gif Already curious to see what you come up with thumb.gif
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Haha. well, glad you didn't make neighbors cat suffer rolleyes1.gif Already curious to see what you come up with thumb.gif

I have three cats of my own to torture! rolleyes1.gif
    Jer
    (ooooh boy!) rolleyes1.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    I have three cats of my own to torture! rolleyes1.gif

Yeah? How come we aren't seeing the torture right now? huh? Scared to show us that you are a sadist? >.>

I know I am. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    Yeah? How come we aren't seeing the torture right now? huh? Scared to show us that you are a sadist? >.>

I know I am. rolleyes1.gif

well, I've already showed you guys stuff from my alien bees.. I've had them for almost a year now. the only new thing is the Vegabond. ... OK I'll take some new stuff just cause I'm in a good mood!

Also, I'm going back and forth as to using the umbrella or one of my 30x40 softboxes for on location stuff.. the umbrella would be easier to setup and tear down on the go, but the softbox would produce much much better light. headscratch.gif
    Jer
    Well I think this is the best I'm gonna get out of my buddy Rosco. I think it screams torture! Shortly after this was taken he bolted back to the door to go inside rolleyes1.gif

1016114800_bPYZq-XL.jpg

Now the setup: two AB800's with 30x40 softboxes hooked up to the vegabond. This was taken at 9:15pm - pitch black outside.. ISO 100 f/6.3 1/250s with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G on my D700. Both AB800's were set at 1/8th power. I really need a light meter, I just used the histogram on my camera to guess it.
    1016105881_29uFp-XL.jpg
    Jer
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    Hey Jeremy, Nice setup! Forget the light meter as I know you're comfortable with your camera settings. You ought to be able to find the sweet spot pretty quick without the meter, 1 to two test shots should get ya there especially after you really get a feel for your lights and thier power output with different ambient light.thumb.gif When shooting outdoors with lights, I simply set my shutter to 1/200th / 1/250 (max sync for cactus v4's) and play with ISO/AP until I get the feeling I want.

Id spend your light meter money on a big octabank! haha
  • The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    light meter is a waste
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Oh awesome and some cool test shots too....
    Where did you purchase your pack at?
    I was seriously considering putting my own rig together but looking at the size of this pack I'd rather have this.
    I was looking at a deep cycle battery and a small 1200 watt inverter for about 200 dollars...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    well, I've already showed you guys stuff from my alien bees.. I've had them for almost a year now. the only new thing is the Vegabond. ... OK I'll take some new stuff just cause I'm in a good mood!

Also, I'm going back and forth as to using the umbrella or one of my 30x40 softboxes for on location stuff.. the umbrella would be easier to setup and tear down on the go, but the softbox would produce much much better light. headscratch.gif

Just watch for slight breezes with the umbrellas or softboxes.
    I did an out door shoot with shore power and I lost the stands a few time from the wind.
    Thankfully no damage was done.
    I had both my softboxes out for that one
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    Bsimon wrote: »
    Hey Jeremy, Nice setup! Forget the light meter as I know you're comfortable with your camera settings. You ought to be able to find the sweet spot pretty quick without the meter, 1 to two test shots should get ya there especially after you really get a feel for your lights and thier power output with different ambient light.thumb.gif When shooting outdoors with lights, I simply set my shutter to 1/200th / 1/250 (max sync for cactus v4's) and play with ISO/AP until I get the feeling I want.

Id spend your light meter money on a big octabank! haha

I am very comfortable finding the sweet spot. The Histogram works pretty well, which is why I have been putting off getting a light meter. I just really want one for when I occasionally do inside work.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Oh awesome and some cool test shots too....
    Where did you purchase your pack at?
    I was seriously considering putting my own rig together but looking at the size of this pack I'd rather have this.
    I was looking at a deep cycle battery and a small 1200 watt inverter for about 200 dollars...

I got it through Paul C. Buff.. go to Alienbees.com and its under portable power. I paid $284 but I get a student discount. Yay college!
    Just watch for slight breezes with the umbrellas or softboxes.
    I did an out door shoot with shore power and I lost the stands a few time from the wind.
    Thankfully no damage was done.
    I had both my softboxes out for that one

Thats ironic.. one of them took a tumble last night when I was trying to torture my kitty. thankfully the softbox hit the cement and not the alien bee. My Cactus V4 hit the ground and broke, but I fixed it..
    Jer
    Thanks for the info...
    As for the stands and softboxes, I think those velcro wrap around weights that you fill with sand are a must :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    Thanks for the info...
    As for the stands and softboxes, I think those velcro wrap around weights that you fill with sand are a must :-)

Yep, I'm going to be upgrading my light stands to heavy duty ones (my current ones are pretty crappy) and also purchase some sand bags very soon.
    Jer
    The stands that came with my Elichroms are by Manfrotto and they are decent for being bundled with the kit. The winds that took them down were over 10mph I'd say....
    Not a smart idea even with sand bags probably
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    The stands that came with my Elichroms are by Manfrotto and they are decent for being bundled with the kit. The winds that took them down were over 10mph I'd say....
    Not a smart idea even with sand bags probably

Usually I have an assistant with me when I plan on using lights outside. Sometimes that assistant is a parent of a senior! I mean, all I have them do is hold the thing so it doesn't fall over.. so, its not like its hard work.
    Jer
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Forget the light meter. Get the CyberCommander and CyberSync CSRB+ no need for a meter and you can adjust power without having to go to the strobe.
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Forget the light meter. Get the CyberCommander and CyberSync CSRB+ no need for a meter and you can adjust power without having to go to the strobe.

I've thought about getting those, and I may in the future, right now I have nothing left in the budget to buy gear... cause I just dropped $1100 on this vegabond and a new lens..
    Jer
    What lens did you get?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • MzChristineMzChristine Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    I don't know enough to even comment on the lighting setup etc, BUT, I just had to comment to say that I love the photo of Rosco. iloveyou.gif
    I got the Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC. Probably one of the best portrait lenses nikon has ever made!
    Jer
    I got the Nikkor 105mm f/2 DC. Probably one of the best portrait lenses nikon has ever made!

Ah, so the lens is new to you...I remember the other thread where you mentioned it :-)
    Well, you made to wise choices for the budget you had ...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    Jermey, make sure you have one of the newer units. There was a problem with overheating when leaving them plugged in to charge and several almost caught on fire. Buff says the problem is over but be sure how long yours was sitting on a shelf. Watch it if you leave it plugged in.
    edited September 25, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Jermey, make sure you have one of the newer units. There was a problem with overheating when leaving them plugged in to charge and several almost caught on fire. Buff says the problem is over but be sure how long yours was sitting on a shelf. Watch it if you leave it plugged in.

umm.. idk how to check how long it sat on the shelf... but if Paul says its fixed I'm sure its fixed... They're pretty good about quality control and such.
    Jer