Options

Make it better?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited October 18, 2010 in Technique
How can I make this picture better?

1016613150_bTHQW-X3.jpg

I want to offer this photo for sale to a local tourist group, but need to know how I can make it better. I'd also like to know specifically what workflow you used as I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop.

Thanks and blessings
Jerry
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    what would be the appeal of purchasing this photo?

I don't think it can be made better..
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    Cloning out the dust spots on your sensor, causing the round blobs in your sky, can't hurt.

The building looks crooked to me. Can you straighten it up, perhaps?

More color with a wider tonal range in the reflection might help.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Foques wrote: »
    I don't think it can be made better..

I disagree. I think it could be made better. I just don't think it could be made "good." rolleyes1.gif The sky is bland at best. There's flare all over. Let's not even talk about the nasty sensor crud. The subject (assuming it's the building) has no detail. Better to reshoot multiple exposures with a more interesting sky, and probably apply some "mild" HDR treatment. This shot would be an instant "Reject" in my LR workflow. Sorry. I really don't like to comment totally negatively on folks work, but . . .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    haha John, well played, sir.
    that's what I meant. granted, there are some tweaks that can be done, but like you said, it is a reject.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    Straighten up the pronounced lean to the left! :D
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins

1016613150_bTHQW-X3.jpg

I want to offer this photo for sale to a local tourist group, but need to know how I can make it better. I'd also like to know specifically what workflow you used as I'm trying to teach myself Photoshop.

Thanks and blessings
    Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Hey Jerry,

What is your assessment of your photo...what do you not like about it? If you will help us determine what it is you do not like, I think me as well as others can potentially offer ideas for helping you with it.

cheers, tw
    tom wise
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. But I sold it to the customer today for $250.00 as is.

Thanks again though.

Blessings
    Jerry
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the input. But I sold it to the customer today for $250.00 as is.

Thanks again though.

Blessings
    Jerry

:wow:eek1:yikes:eek1 bowdown.gif$250!!! Did he buy the print, or just the file? How big was the image when he seen it? What do you think he seen in it for him to want to spend $250 on it?
    Icebear wrote:
    This shot would be an instant "Reject"
    The ironyrolleyes1.gif
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Good on Ya, Jerry. thumb.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    :wow:eek1:yikes:eek1 bowdown.gif$250!!! Did he buy the print, or just the file? How big was the image when he seen it? What do you think he seen in it for him to want to spend $250 on it?

The ironyrolleyes1.gif

The finished image was 8x10. It was bought by the city to use in regional marketing (magazines, newspapers, etc).

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Jerry
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2010
    The finished image was 8x10. It was bought by the city to use in regional marketing (magazines, newspapers, etc).

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Jerry

Not to beat a dead horse, but did you print it as is with the dust spots, and or did you sell them an 8X10 image file as is with the dust spots?

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2010
    racer wrote: »

The ironyrolleyes1.gif

He saw it on his computer monitor. The city bought it for use in marketing and over the past couple weeks since I originally asked this question, it's shown up in 20X30 posters throughout the region as well as a couple regional publications. This same customer referred me to another potential client and the referred client bought about ten shots today. Guess it's true...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2010
    wow...

that is exactly why I think I hardly will become a successful photographer..
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2010
    The value of a product is in it's purpose and FINDING where that purpose is.
    Up where I live, I take snow and ice for granted... Not so in Arizona and they pay PLENTY for it.

I've posted up some pretty shabby *looking* stuff on here [Dgrin] before, that in a weird way, would be some of my greatest success's when measured in the returns that they received - Obviously you found the audience for this. Good on YOU! IMO that's the secret of success and MANY extraordinary shooters are challenged by it.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    The value of a product is in it's purpose and FINDING where that purpose is.
    Up where I live, I take snow and ice for granted... Not so in Arizona and they pay PLENTY for it.

I've posted up some pretty shabby *looking* stuff on here [Dgrin] before, that in a weird way, would be some of my greatest success's when measured in the returns that they received - Obviously you found the audience for this. Good on YOU! IMO that's the secret of success and MANY extraordinary shooters are challenged by it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • Options
    D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Thanks for the encouraging words!

You're welcome.... But WTS, you do see the short-comings in this image, right?
    Don't let 'financial gain' cloud your path on improvements - Even the best shooters are bettered. thumb.gif

And believe me, I ain't one of them...... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    You're welcome.... But WTS, you do see the short-comings in this image, right?
    Don't let 'financial gain' cloud your path on improvements - Even the best shooters are bettered. thumb.gif

And believe me, I ain't one of them...... rolleyes1.gif

I see shortcomings in almost all of my photographs. I'm constantly here on dGrin looking for tips and techniques to improve as well as 'haunting' photographers websites.

Blessings
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2010
    Congrats on the sale! Though too late now, here's what I would have done (though with the original instead of that JPG):

- removed sensor spots
    - reduced noise slightly
    - straightened slightly
    - cropped slightly to remove the bright lights on the edge of the frame
    - bumped up fill light
    - bumped up vibrance

This introduced a little banding, but this was just a quick tweak to a processed JPG to show the potential.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2010
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    Congrats on the sale! Though too late now, here's what I would have done (though with the original instead of that JPG):

- removed sensor spots
    - reduced noise slightly
    - straightened slightly
    - cropped slightly to remove the bright lights on the edge of the frame
    - bumped up fill light
    - bumped up vibrance

This introduced a little banding, but this was just a quick tweak to a processed JPG to show the potential.

WOW!! Awesome...thanks so much. I'm going to take the image on my 'puter and try to replicate with it what you ahve done! Thanks a million!