Options

Shutter count check for Canon users

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited September 25, 2010 in Finishing School
Searched the forum and nothing covered this topic, so I thought others would be interested in this.

Have a Canon without a shutter count # available? Check with this free program:

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

I'm up to 31,843 since Feb '09 :D

Comments

• Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Something interesting that I read on that site, when you open and close live view, that is not included anywere on overall shutter count, so if you use live view a lot (like I do) you might not have a very accurate shutter count eek7.gif.
    I guess also, if you use live view, you cant go by shutter count to try to figure out how many shots you have taken? headscratch.gif
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2010
    racer wrote: »
    Something interesting that I read on that site, when you open and close live view, that is not included anywere on overall shutter count, so if you use live view a lot (like I do) you might not have a very accurate shutter count eek7.gif.
    I guess also, if you use live view, you cant go by shutter count to try to figure out how many shots you have taken? headscratch.gif

Live view moves the mirror up but it's not tripping the shutter yet. The mirror and shutter mechanisms are separate from what I understand
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    Live view moves the mirror up but it's not tripping the shutter yet. The mirror and shutter mechanisms are separate from what I understand

I am pretty sure the shutter has to be open also, inorder for the sensor to be able to produce a live image? :D

So opening and closing liveview would be opening and closing the shutter, but isnt included in the shutter count on canon cameras. So I am guessing, if the shutter is open during live view, and you snap off 100 shots, the shutter is only opening once, and that once isnt even counted. I was thinking that I could look at the shutter count, and it would show me how many photos I have taken, but I guess the numbers wouldnt be correct?
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    I guess so, add .5 or .75% or something to the total shutter count then :D
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Doesn't Opanda (the free version) do this also????
    It has been around for a very long time.....
    I know it gives this info for my Nikon D300's.................
    and Has been mentioned several times in the past for people wanting to sell
    or buy a camera that the owner had no idea the actual shutter count.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    I don't know, I was looking for Canon and I got this :D
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    NEFs have the shuttercount in the "EXIF:Makernotes, CR2 not. By this it can easily read from the images by lots of software.