Options

Your photos on facebook?

Lisa91Lisa91 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited September 22, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business

For those that use facebook to post your "teaser" photos, how do you make sure that the photos you post will not be copied somewhere else or even printed off.

I like that I can post on facebook to let friends know that new photos are up, but how do I keep them some what safe?

Lisa

http://futurestars.smugmug.com/

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."
~~ Bill Shankly

Comments

• Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2010
    There's no way to protect something completely once it's online, but you could always watermark your images. That, combined with the terrible quality of photos on Facebook should deter most people.
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    You can't prevent it from happening. Here's what I do:

Post low resolution, watermarked copies in albums that state the images are copyright protected.

It won't stop them from copying if they want to, but I'm not concerned about that, otherwise I wouldn't be putting them on facebook.

If my clients are on facebook and we're also 'friends', then I also will tag them in the photos. If you don't want people copying them or printing them from facebook, best not to post them there at all. But if you post low resolution versions, they won't get a very large print out of them anyways.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    when you upload photos to facebook, are they automatically changed to a smaller resolution? or is that something you change before you upload.
    I have been taking photos for sports at the school and the students are wanting me to post some on face book.
    Lisa

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."
    ~~ Bill Shankly
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Lisa91 wrote: »
    when you upload photos to facebook, are they automatically changed to a smaller resolution? or is that something you change before you upload.
    I have been taking photos for sports at the school and the students are wanting me to post some on face book.

They tend to automagically resize/resolute them. Most that I have right clicked saved are appx 70-120kb.

And why worry over it? Just mark them as yours via watermark if that makes you feel better. They'll print great at Postage stamp size!
    tom wise
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    The current Facebook maximum image size is 720x720. Anything bigger gets downsampled to that. I think 720 is too big, so my Lightroom export preset limits them to 480px tall and watermarks every one.

My experience is that even if you don't put photos on Facebook, when you send them to people via other channels, if they like the pics a lot there is a very high chance that they will put them on Facebook themselves. Just don't be surprised when that happens, or put some language into your contracts that specifies where they are allowed to publish. Although that won't stop anyone, except maybe in court.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2010
    thank you
    Thanks for your help, I believe that I will post them to facebook. I didn't know that the photos were resized and that small, postage stamp is correct. No sure about the water mark, yet. I believe most of the students just want to use it to post as profile photos and to tag.
    Lisa

~~ Bill Shankly
  • Options
    PalusMusPalusMus Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    I found my photos in another persons album listed as her photos.....so I don't post photos on Facebook anymore. I just post a link to the photo on Smugmug. That way they can see it in a larger size and maybe they will look at the rest of the gallery while they are there.
  • Options
    lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    Lisa91 wrote: »

I always resize before posting at the same time I add my watermark.
  • Options
    Kevin KramerKevin Kramer Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    i used to have my watermark very small on the right hand side of the photo. I've started to notice that when people use them for profile photos or whatnot, they'll crop the watermark out and then re-post in an album. it pissed me off and now i've gotten to the point where it's not obnoxious, but it's there, and if you want to see the photo, it's going to stay there. If they crop out the watermark, you'll lose half of the photo. All i want is recognition people!!! mwink.gif keep the watermark!!!
    Nikon D300s and Nikon D7000
    Nikon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8
    2 SB-900 and 2 SB-600's
    website | blog | facebook