Options

Converting an image to black and white in Photoshop CS4

osbornerosborner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 30, 2010 in Finishing School
I know several ways to convert an image to black and white in Photoshop CS4, but what is your preference and the steps involved in it? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited September 21, 2010
    I have moved this thread because it is about post processing of an image, not about how to shoot an image.

Have you looked through this thread here at the top of Finishing School?

There are several methods for conversion of an image to monochrome discussed in detail.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    OnlyEliseOnlyElise Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    osborner wrote: »
    I know several ways to convert an image to black and white in Photoshop CS4, but what is your preference and the steps involved in it? Thanks!

Hey Osborner!
    Actually, I recently learned how to use Adobe RAW, which is a plug-in program that comes with CS4. It allows you to really personalize how you want the different black, white, and gray tones to be adjusted, based on the colors in the original full color image. Then, you can save the picture or just open it up in Photoshop to continue editing.

You go into Bridge first, then click on the picture(s) you want to open in RAW. Then, CTR/CMD+R and it will open them up in RAW, or you can right click and use "Open in RAW" on the drop down. On the right are several tabs, including one that is for turning the photo black and white. Once you do that, the color sliders underneath that check box will allow you to individually adjust the tones.

:)
    I write at: Bumblejax - Wall Art from Digital Photos www.bumblejax.com

I work at: www.tinyroomproductionsonline.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 29, 2010
    OnlyElise wrote: »
    Hey Osborner!
    Actually, I recently learned how to use Adobe RAW, which is a plug-in program that comes with CS4. It allows you to really personalize how you want the different black, white, and gray tones to be adjusted, based on the colors in the original full color image. Then, you can save the picture or just open it up in Photoshop to continue editing.

You go into Bridge first, then click on the picture(s) you want to open in RAW. Then, CTR/CMD+R and it will open them up in RAW, or you can right click and use "Open in RAW" on the drop down. On the right are several tabs, including one that is for turning the photo black and white. Once you do that, the color sliders underneath that check box will allow you to individually adjust the tones.

:)
    Yes, ACR lets you do monochrome conversions from the HSL panel, but I find Photoshop's B&W adjustment layer more powerful. The basics are the same--channel mixing on steroids--but I often decide that I want different mixes on separate parts of the image. The green channel is best for faces, while the red channel makes for the most interesting skies, for example. In PS, you can use several masked adjustment layers and get the best of all possible worlds. In raw conversion, you only get one shot at it unless you open multiple copies and combine them, which is more tedious.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2010
    I use the Image + Calculations method followed by either an Overlay or Screen adjustment layer. The blending mode varies depending upon the look I'm going for but typically around 35-50%. Screen if I'm looking for bright whites & Overlay if I'm going for strong blacks. Lately, I've been using a combination of both which gives a very good range. Sharpening is applied to the lightness channel using Unsharp Mask. Hope this helps!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook