More Golden Gate Bridge Shots

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited September 25, 2010 in Landscapes
I was going through some shots and decided to share these with the group to see what people think.

Thanks,

Mike

4786456763_b640ed1c34_b.jpg

2945662647_257a5598c6_o.jpg

2946525820_2df85a7c74_o.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Wow, 50+ views and no comments. That bad?

I really don't mind if you tell me they're bad as long as you say why. You don't want me posting bad stuff forever, right? :-)

Mike
    flickr
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    I love the first one! Great capture... all except for the bird flying towards the camera between the bridge poles over the wires. See if you can clone that out maybe?

The second one is good too - the time exposure works well. I'm not a huge fan of the vertical though. I think the rock in the bottom right diverts the viewers attention away from the rest of the shot. Just my opinion..
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • gambgamb Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    I really like the first one also. Love the color in it
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    I like the composition and the colors in #2, and I think the frame you added really enhances the overall look. #1 would probably look better with the same frame.

I agree with Alpha - vertical doesn't work well with a horizontal subject like the GGB. I see what you were trying to do, adding some foreground to give interest, but it's not really grabbing me because the foreground is less interesting than the background. It might have worked if you caught a breaker, and/or with a narrower DOF (if the bridge itself was out of focus while the foreground was in focus). Try a square crop on the top half and see if it works better as a straight-on pic of the bridge.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    Nice result with #1. I would suggest looking at cropping from the bottom to just below the breakers. It might give you a stronger leading line to the right.

#2, agree with the others as nice composition and light.

And #3, I don't mind the vertical that much but I agree that you might want more of the foreground object. Maybe position the camera to use the foreground object to lead the eye to the mid ground rocks and then on to the bridge.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    I absolutely love the semi-soft, semi-detailed, light-kissed wave in the first one, but overall I can't decide on the shot itself. There's a lot to look at and I'm not sure what the focal point is: the bridge, the wave, or the beach. But you have nice elements in all of these, that's for sure! It's a tough angle to play with, and the arch of the bridge always makes the shot look a little tilted even when it's not.
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    These are great!

Love the timing of the waves on #1.

The night colors are wonderful on the rest.

I want to head out there this fall.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    Thanks so much for the great feedback. I too thought the vertical was the weakest of the three, but wanted to see what others thought.

Karl - yes, that bird was kind of bothering me as well. I'll have to clone it out.

Tom - interesting idea on the crop. I'll take a look at that.

Schmoo - Yes, I too see what you're mentioning. I may have to jump into PS again to see if some tweaking helps.

Alvin - I think we're nearing the time when this works again. I was thinking of heading back over there this weekend when it gets real hot - it keeps the fog out.

Thanks again.

Mike
    flickr
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    I like all three just the way they are. In my world, there's nothing wrong with having multiple points of interest in a shot. There's a lot to see in that first shot of yours, bird included. Good job on coming up with original comps on one of the most iconic subjects on the planet. thumb.gif
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    These are great shots but #1 is a stunner!

Duncan