Taking the strobes out for a walk

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited September 22, 2010 in People
Ok, why would you want to take your portable studio strobe lights outside?
Well my thoughts were to have more control over the lighting.
I had to make do on a recent shoot where I didn't have a scrim or much shade to thwart the high noon sunlight so I brought one of the strobes out and placed it within two feet of my subjects. I used a 24 inch softbox on a 400ws strobe at about half power.

The results were ok but didn't quite kill the harsh shadows on their faces as good as I would have liked.
Example 1

908751598_LfWrR-L.jpg

Example 2

908748592_KCm8a-L.jpg

The shadows are bothersome in my mind and in retrospect I should have cranked up the power a bit more butl it wasn't a full paying job thankfully and they were happy with the pictures.

I've seen some dramatic work done in broad daylight but I've yet to produce such.

Here are a few from a practice shoot I did a while ago with the strobes at a longer distance from the subject.

Example 3
875594954_ZLc5z-L-2.jpg

Example 4
875704789_bjUZY-L-3.jpg

Again, not quite what I was shooting for.....

In retrospect I believe I could have done a fine job on the last two just shooting normally....

Live and learn
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    I found you have to crank up the power and go high speed sync and you DOMINATE the sun when outdoors in bright light.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    I found you have to crank up the power and go high speed sync and you DOMINATE the sun when outdoors in bright light.

I will keep that in mind next time but I will making myself some scrims....
    Yo soy Reynaldo