Arches National Park, Utah

Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited September 29, 2010 in Landscapes
Three of my photos from Arches NP. Let me know what you think?

arches_01.jpg

Balanced Rock
arches_02.jpg

Delicate Arch - we didn't get the sunset, but had some interesting clouds and windy weather instead.
arches_03.jpg
Karl Lindsay
Nikon D600
Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Induro CT-014 Tripod
karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px

Comments

• NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    The colors don't look natural in the first two. Particularly with the second one. It looks like a "colorized" B/W. Composition on the first one is cool. Good sky and placement of the sun. Great sky in the last one also.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2010
    The colors don't look natural in the first two. Particularly with the second one. It looks like a "colorized" B/W. Composition on the first one is cool. Good sky and placement of the sun. Great sky in the last one also.

i'm guessing the first two are HDR, which tends to produce oversaturated colors unless done with a gentle touch. but those colors aren't that far off from the real thing... if anything, the last image is a bit more drab than most i've seen of Delicate Arch, including my own, though the flat lighting probably has a lot to do with that.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    i'm guessing the first two are HDR, which tends to produce oversaturated colors unless done with a gentle touch. but those colors aren't that far off from the real thing... if anything, the last image is a bit more drab than most i've seen of Delicate Arch, including my own, though the flat lighting probably has a lot to do with that.

All three are HDR actually, I didn't mention it because I wanted to see what people said. And yes, the colours at Arches are incredible, however, the first one may be a little unrealistic only because the rock would be in shadow at this time of the day.

With Delicate Arch, I was disappointed with the weather but you can only go when you can get there...

Thanks for your comments
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    I really like #1 and #3. In #1 I like the perspective. With #3 I actually think you have some nice weather there. Great dramatic sky. I would think about maybe boosting the vibrance a little and putting a little more contrast in just the foreground and arch.
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    well done!
    like all the shots,Great Compositions and colors
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 24, 2010
    The clouds really make the shots. I like 1 and 3 the best. thumb.gif
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    Nice work. Agree, HDR can get to be a bit much at times.. Wish I had the patience to do it by hand at times...

Heading to Moab myself in 10 days, hopefully the weather plays nice!
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    Nice comps! What a great place for photography.
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    I like #3, the sky and the colours work really well!

Duncan
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I was there last year and the colors and rock formations are amazing. My favorite is "Park Avenue".
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    Alpha_Plus wrote: »
    With Delicate Arch, I was disappointed with the weather but you can only go when you can get there...
    Thanks for your comments

i know that feeling! when i went to Arches, i had planned to shoot Delicate Arch just before sunset, but there was a cloud bank moving in from the northwest, and i decided to take what i could get. it was a race with the storm front, but i managed to get up there about 15 minutes before the clouds blotted out the sun. got some pretty decent shots (even if they weren't quite the light i'd been hoping for), then hauled my biscuits down to the car just before the rain started... since i live in WA, getting back there for just the right weather is a bit problematic...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    squirl033 wrote: »
    i know that feeling! when i went to Arches, i had planned to shoot Delicate Arch just before sunset, but there was a cloud bank moving in from the northwest, and i decided to take what i could get. it was a race with the storm front, but i managed to get up there about 15 minutes before the clouds blotted out the sun. got some pretty decent shots (even if they weren't quite the light i'd been hoping for), then hauled my biscuits down to the car just before the rain started... since i live in WA, getting back there for just the right weather is a bit problematic...

Thanks for your comments everyone!

At least you got the sunlight for a few minutes. You may live in Washington, but you are closer than me here in Australia. Take every chance you can for a road trip!!
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Induro CT-014 Tripod