First portraiture attempts: Kristopher

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in People
I finally did my first portraiture shots. A friend of mine had one of her friends help me out. I'm mainly focusing on proper color and skin tones, exposure, etc, as well as composition.

I used a 180mm F3.5 Sigma EX macro lens, and a gold/silver reflector.
Quick headsup, I didn't crop any of the images, as I'm practicing cropping in the viewfinder. I'll make sure to crop better via the viewfinder in the next series!

kris01.jpg

kris02.jpg

kris03.jpg

kris04.jpg

kris05j.jpg

kris06.jpg

Personally I like 5 the best, 2 after. Any suggestions?
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    Oh very nice! I really like them. Now, as for the skin tones, to me they look a bit too orange AND *I* would go with more contrast to make them look a bit crisper. But it's definitely a nice set (the only one I don't care for at all is #3, looks like a snap shot / looks like he closed his eyes by accident, not because you told him to do so ...)
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    I totally agree with Angie, great first attempt!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Oh very nice! I really like them. Now, as for the skin tones, to me they look a bit too orange AND *I* would go with more contrast to make them look a bit crisper. But it's definitely a nice set (the only one I don't care for at all is #3, looks like a snap shot / looks like he closed his eyes by accident, not because you told him to do so ...)

What she said 15524779-Ti.gif

On my monitor, his face is a tad dark in all of them - when you play with contrast, you might want to brighten up there (dodge/burn, or on a brightness/contrast selective layer)

Love the rim lighting on #1!
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    I find that some have a bit too much extra space at the top. Of course can be cropped. But some seem to be classic "image in the center of frame".
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    aj986s wrote: »
    I find that some have a bit too much extra space at the top. Of course can be cropped. But some seem to be classic "image in the center of frame".

Yeah I need to work on framing as I mentioned, not quite sure exactly what I should do though, any suggestions?

Also, I probably need to calibrate my monitor a bit better but it just isn't bright enough.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    I'm not pro, so just warning you. But Rule of Thirds is a good premise to use. Try to put primary subject on intersection of horizontal and vertical thirds. Be aware of how our tendency is to place the subject in the center of the frame. Move the frame up or down to fill it fuller. Of course depends on content too. Prefocus (as most DSLR's can do so) allows you to focus on the primary subject, and then recompose before taking the shot. Lots of good books, info, etc that discuss in much more detail.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com