Building a... building!

r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
edited September 27, 2010 in Landscapes
Thoughts & C/C please :D

5016852736_8b91b037ac_b.jpg

I saw this building on the way home last night and HAD to pull over to shoot it. Lemme know what you think :wink

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    I like it. Nice dynamic range, and lots of details that keep my eye wandering about. The different phases of construction, the equipment, the drop lights, clearly illustrate this is a work in progress. Not that you could do anything about it, the other building on the LH side is a bit distracting though.

Can you describe how you shot this? I'm guessing tripod used. Is this a single image or an HDR composite?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    Single image, no tripod. I rested against a fence to shoot it lol. thumb.gif

EDIT: I see you're in MD. This is right in Hanover, near Arundle Mills mall.

r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    Single image, no tripod. I rested against a fence to shoot it lol. thumb.gif

EDIT: I see you're in MD. This is right in Hanover, near Arundle Mills mall.

Nicely done! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Technically? Nice shot. Exposure's good and it's sharp. But all the form work, re-bar and what-not clutter the foreground and take away from an otherwise nice picture.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    ian408 wrote: »
    Technically? Nice shot. Exposure's good and it's sharp. But all the form work, re-bar and what-not clutter the foreground and take away from an otherwise nice picture.

See, I tried a crop originally that deleted the foreground elements but I didn't like the building being all boring by itself.

If I do a buliding only, I'd have to do a pano of portrait shots. That may or may not be worth doing. Depends on whether or not I can remember my tripod next time lol.

After looking at it again, I like how the picture transitions from dark and very early construction aspects at the bottom, to the lighted (almost) done structure at the top. Almost like evolution in process.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    See, I tried a crop originally that deleted the foreground elements but I didn't like the building being all boring by itself.

A building of that size needs something to anchor it in the picture. So yeah, you need some foreground and if there was less clutter in this shot, I'd say you have enough foreground to anchor it.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • starclusterstarcluster Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    well nice Shot!
    there is alot to see on one shot, i would go for tighter.. but Well done :3
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    I like it, but I'm generally a color guy. What does it look like in color?

I have probably seen the site; I get to Arundel Mills every now and again for dinner and a movie. Arundel Mills has the best movie theater in Maryland, IMHO.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    Movieco 24 is okay lol. Bengie's is the most fun you can have at the movies IMO. Nothing like a good ol' drive-in :D

Color version:
    5016248523_4b4c20bcef_b.jpg

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Great job, i really like the BW version
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    Great job, i really like the BW version
    Yeah, something about the color version just doesn't do it for me lol. thumb.gif

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2010
    Yeah, but my eyes see in color, so I prefer the color version. It's a great shot.

I passed through Arundel Mills briefly today, made a stop at the Best Buy. I was in a hurry, though, so I couldn't look around to spot that building.

I never went to Bengies, but when I was a kid, I used to go to the Governor Ritchie Drive-In on Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie. It was torn down in the early 80s; there is a self-storage place and a shopping center there now.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited September 25, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Yeah, but my eyes see in color, so I prefer the color version. It's a great shot.

I passed through Arundel Mills briefly today, made a stop at the Best Buy. I was in a hurry, though, so I couldn't look around to spot that building.

I never went to Bengies, but when I was a kid, I used to go to the Governor Ritchie Drive-In on Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie. It was torn down in the early 80s; there is a self-storage place and a shopping center there now.
    Your eyes see in color!? rolleyes1.gif

Say "you haven't been yet" to bengie's. It's still there thumb.gif

edited September 27, 2010
    X2 on Bengies being a fun place. Our car club did a drive there last year, and it was a lot of fun. Especially the kooky owner who runs the place. rolleyes1.gif The concessions stand is quite good, too! Very good food at reasonable prices.

This summer we did a drive to the Family Drive-in Theater near Winchester, VA, and I didn't care for it. Would like to go back to Bengies again.
    Tony P.
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited September 27, 2010
    aj986s wrote: »
    X2 on Bengies being a fun place. Our car club did a drive there last year, and it was a lot of fun. Especially the kooky owner who runs the place. rolleyes1.gif The concessions stand is quite good, too! Very good food at reasonable prices.

This summer we did a drive to the Family Drive-in Theater near Winchester, VA, and I didn't care for it. Would like to go back to Bengies again.

Hot cars, nice camera gear, good eats, and a trio of movies!?

That sounds amazing wings.gif