Techniques for flattering ...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in People
I know this has come up a few times (in fact, I thought there was a thread in weddings which was going to be turned into a sticky, but I can't find it now! If anybody remembers it - Heather, I think you started it? - by all means link me to it!)

I have a shoot coming up with a rather... uh.... rotund candidate (understatement). I've shot some heavier-set people before, but this one's going to take my best skills to flatter.

Obviously, short lighting, no square-on shoulders, suggest dark colours and shoot from slightly above, but any other tips? These will be headshots, so I can't hide body parts behind other people or props.

All tips, tricks and techniques welcomed! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2010
    How about finding a way to draw attention to and flatter the individual's eyes? If you could successfully do that, the size/weight issue won't be the first things that's noticed.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Yeah, I always go for the eyes. But on this occasion, unless I shoot insanely close (too close for the purpose of the shots), that isn't going to solve the problem.....

I am playing with restricting the light to minimize unwanted areas and help bring the attention where we do want it. Unfortunately, I only have 2 flashguns which makes it trickier to pull this off.

Anybody else? Any wonderful poses/lighting/tricks y'all have discovered? ::looks hopefully around dgrin for helfpful pointers:: :D
  • tortillatorturetortillatorture Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    I dont know what kind of monsters you are going to take pictures of...
    you need to learn capture real people with real emotions, maby spend some time with them and let them get to know you a litle bit,
    take a lot of "test" shots, these are the ones that probably are going to turn out best.
    Hi Tortilla - point taken. I'm not looking to make them unrealistic, but would like to maximise strengths and minimise weaknesses - ideally through posing and lighting - hence my asking the question.

You're of course right - it's all about finding the real person (which is always my goal!) - but I think we can try to make that real person look as good as possible, too!
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Diva, I think your inclination to stick to short lighting is going to be your most important principle. Perhaps you could even try a black card on the short side, and go for a more dramatic effect than you would normally. You know, really suck the light away from the camera side. ne_nau.gif

Your work shows that you engage your subjects, so I think you are comfortable with getting the best that's there.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    divamum wrote: »

Unfortunately, I only have 2 flashguns which makes it trickier to pull this off.

Actually I think less light is your friend here Divamum. Try using only one of those nice phototek-softlighters you have and I think you'll be fine.

Snooting, spotting, etc, comes to mind...using dramatic lighting.

I have shot nudes of gals with largess, and one light is what I used, pulling focus via light, letting the light fall away quickly~
    tom wise
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote: »
    I have shot nudes of gals with largess,

Websters: Largess n. a gift or gifts generously given

You lucky dog, you.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    Thanks Tom and John. Tom, I was thinking snoots, grids and my DIY soda-carton-softbox (that thing is getting a serious workout at the moment!). Plus placement to control the falloff so light goes where I want it instead of all over the place.

Actually, in my continued quest for getting some command over multiple-flash lighting (plus practicing some old Hollywood-style looks for another shoot coming up), I did a practice set today where I worked witih a snooted light directly behind subject (as in DIRECTLY) turned up way high, and a gridded flash to one side, aimed right at the face. Very dramatic (and proved to me that you really CAN black-out a background if you keep the shutter speed high enough :D Not that I doubted it before, I just hadn't made it work before now :) And no, I'm not posting examples of my tired self with no makeup, my hair scraped back in a ponytail in an old, paint-covered shirt rolleyes1.gif (hey, I was practicing LIGHTING, not looking good! :giggle)

So, yeah. What you both said nod.gif:D
    And no, I'm not posting examples of my tired self with no makeup, my hair scraped back in a ponytail in an old, paint-covered shirt rolleyes1.gif (hey, I was practicing LIGHTING, not looking good! :giggle)

So, yeah. What you both said nod.gif:D

hehee...yeah, headed us off did ya? ! Smart too!rolleyes1.gif

Nice to hear about the set-up...and really, really it sounds like you don't get the time to play that we all know is needed...it is so nec. for us all!
    tom wise
    Icebear wrote: »
    Websters: Largess n. a gift or gifts generously given

You lucky dog, you.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif too funny!

Think about it ( well...don't think too much!) But think about the amount of trust involved with knowing someone, as a friend/co-worker, being obese to morbidly obese and still having the courage to disrobe and have photos done. I was gifted that for certain!

...Oh! Almost forgot...AND I had to ensure the photos were flattering! No pressure there!
    tom wise
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    As Tom stated get the light to fall off. Put a blocker of some sort between the light and the subject blocking the light from hitting the lower portion of your subject. Also have the lean forward a bit. This helps with larger people and pull the chin out some to lessen the gobbler area.
    edited September 24, 2010
    Thanks Charles - that's just the kind of tips I need! thumb.gif
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    As someone you would probably consider less than ideal weight for portraiture, may I suggest the following about wardrobe for the shoot:

~encourage your client to wear something V-neck or wide scoop neck to show more continuity of skin and give the illusion of a longer neck. V-necks are the Rubenesque gal's best friend.

~no tight jewelry encircling her neck but rather an interesting pendant just above the cleavage to draw the eye down linearly. Even draping a pashmina across her chest, again just above the cleavage and let it drop over the back of her shoulders may give a nice soft look if you are cropping in for head shots.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    Patti wrote: »
    As someone you would probably consider less than ideal weight for portraiture, may I suggest the following about wardrobe for the shoot:

~encourage your client to wear something V-neck or wide scoop neck to show more continuity of skin and give the illusion of a longer neck. V-necks are the Rubenesque gal's best friend.

~no tight jewelry encircling her neck but rather an interesting pendant just above the cleavage to draw the eye down linearly. Even draping a pashmina across her chest, again just above the cleavage and let it drop over the back of her shoulders may give a nice soft look if you are cropping in for head shots.

And don't forget about 3/4 sleeved shirts!! Girl's best friend!! Assume she has unflattering arms (which most larger people do) you'll want to cover them as much as you can.

Also, bring a step ladder. I know it sounds redundant and you already know this but don't forget it.

I recently shot a wedding for a dear friend who has always been on the larger side of things, one of my favorite pictures from the whole wedding is of her dress hanging in the doorway of the church with the sanctuary in the background, without a size comparison of anything else next to it, it looks like a size 4 when it wasn't. She immediately fell in love with a relatively close up of her I took as she was getting ready, I climbed on the toybox, opened the window and *barely* set off the flash, she swiped it for her fb profile picture within seconds of it going up. While you can tell she's heavy in the picture, it really does her justice just showing her face and a bit of her chest.

I've also heard that the warp tool in photoshop works wonders, I haven't played with it yet but I've heard great things about it. Worth a try.
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    Make her photos look better than other people did.
    Diva,

You will do this, since you're concerned about it you will do well. All you have to do is make her look a little better than her other pictures.

Here's my secret
    I use Portrait Professional to slightly adjust her look enough were she can't tell you did anything. This tool is really fast and works well with PS.
    Tx all! Just for the record... it's a "he" not a "she" :D But many of these great suggestions still apply, so THANK YOU! :)

Sadly, I can't afford Portrait Pro - I wish I could! It's on my "to buy" list at some point.... I do some discreet liquifying when necessary, however - my goal is always to make it seem "flattering" rather than "changed", so I use as light a hand as I can.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    Good advice here.

I'd suggestion using as long a lens as your shoot will allow. The compression will give a slimmer appearance.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    Some helps...
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>Chin , Double<o:p></o:p>
    • Raise the main light<o:p></o:p>
    • Tilt chin upward<o:p></o:p>
    • Use a high camera position<o:p></o:p>
    • Stretch neck<o:p></o:p>
    • Lean head toward camera<o:p></o:p>
    face, Broad, Round or fat<o:p></o:p>
    • Raise the camera position<o:p></o:p>
    • Use short lighting<o:p></o:p>
    • Turn the face at a 3/4 position<o:p></o:p>
    Heavyset Figure-<o:p></o:p>
    • Use short lighting, use low key lighting,<o:p></o:p>
    • Dark clothing<o:p></o:p>
    • Blend body with background tone.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    </o:p>
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    Tx all! Just for the record... it's a "he" not a "she" :D But many of these great suggestions still apply, so THANK YOU! :)

Sadly, I can't afford Portrait Pro - I wish I could! It's on my "to buy" list at some point.... I do some discreet liquifying when necessary, however - my goal is always to make it seem "flattering" rather than "changed", so I use as light a hand as I can.

Would he consider cross dressing perhaps? mwink.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography