T1i vs. T2i for lowlight

m448m448 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited September 24, 2010 in Cameras
I posted in my other thread that I was going crosseyed reading comparisons on these two. However while the video is nice and a feature I'm taking into account the one thing that's most important to me is the low light performance.

I don't use flash, I tend to do a lot of indoors on the fly stuff and am tempted by the ISO as well as the user defined max ISO level on the t2i. I'm kind of foggy on the actual image quality comparing both at higher ISO levels as I've seen images all across the board re: noise. I shoot my kids, I shoot food, I shoot sewing.

So any input? I'm not comfortable enough pulling the trigger on one or the other without knowing how much better the low light performance of the newer model is. Or is this another case of *ahem* over analysis? :help

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 23, 2010
    You should learn when to use off-camera flash, or at least external flash. With fast moving kids especially your keeper rate will go way up. AF is difficult indoors and in low light, but a flash with an AF assist light can make all the difference.

Proper use of flash can produce results much better than ambient alone. Some recent images with a 40D and a Sigma flash:

1004339042_F2ZPN-O.jpg

1004339069_bUaRb-O.jpg

I also recommend the purchase/manufacture of simple flash modifiers. The above used a Demb Flip-It, which worked nicely for indoor, low-ceiling work.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

For a more universal flash modifier I use a DIY "scoop" modifier and it works well outdoors and indoors. (Here are some indoor examples, mostly from a Canon XT/350D and Sigma flash with scoop modifier):

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

488158135_nKqPt-O.jpg

577453135_oFxDv-L.jpg

143666541-L.jpg

116991254-D.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    m448 wrote: »
    I posted in my other thread that I was going crosseyed reading comparisons on these two. However while the video is nice and a feature I'm taking into account the one thing that's most important to me is the low light performance.

I don't use flash, I tend to do a lot of indoors on the fly stuff and am tempted by the ISO as well as the user defined max ISO level on the t2i. I'm kind of foggy on the actual image quality comparing both at higher ISO levels as I've seen images all across the board re: noise. I shoot my kids, I shoot food, I shoot sewing.

So any input? I'm not comfortable enough pulling the trigger on one or the other without knowing how much better the low light performance of the newer model is. Or is this another case of *ahem* over analysis? :help

if low light is important the newer T2i (550D) has better ISO performance but I agree with Ziggy, learning to use a flash is also important
  • m448m448 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2010
    thanks for the input. I've used the business card flash bounce trick especially for later evening pics of bubbling pots of food and it's definitely something to have in my back pocket. However when I'm shooting the kids it's like wildlife photography, usually in a corner with a zoom so they don't get wind I'm taking shots. Or the other extreme with the 50mm right in the baby's face. Both situations not too conducive to flash use.

Ziggy, the first shot of the older gentleman looks great. He looks so distinguished.

Thanks for the info too Brett.