Options

Maternity photos rain ?

tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited September 24, 2010 in People
Ok, so I have a maternity session booked for tomorrow, and the forcast say RAIN!

Have anyone done this before? (Would love to see some examples)

She live in a really beautiful small city at the sea, so my idea was to take some beautiful shots at sunset.
But now all I get is RAIN.

She suggested photos indoors, but I only have a Canon 430xe speedlite, and a softbox and a umbrella.

I guess I could bring some colorful umbrellas, ask her to put on some colorful rainboots (dunno if that is what you call it) and shoot them outdoors anyways.

What do you think?
http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2010
    For what it's worth I would plan on shooting at least some shots indoors. They might not be the shots you were thinking of when you set up the session, but at least you'll have something. You have the flash, umbrella and softbox (I'm assuming you have a stand or some other way to mount the flash and umbrella). With a little creativity you can get some wonderful stuff with a single light. If you'd like examples, take a look at strobist.com.

If you feel confident that you can at least get something indoors go ahead and look for outside spots that you and your subject can be out of the rain but still have an interesting background. In my mind I'm picturing maybe a building awning or covered walkway. Just remember if it's raining the light is going to be very flat so bring the flash and accessories to play around with... if you can keep them out of the rain! I would try to scout out locations today so you don't have to spend time looking for them tomorrow with your client.

Good luck and try to have some fun!
  • Options
    tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    Thank you for your reply!
    I guess I will have to play around with my softbox/umbrella (yes I have a stand for it). Will check out strobist.

If I am lucky it is not raining to heavily, I would love to get some outdoor shots as well. thumb.gif
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    Sounds like an amazing opportunity to me.
    Find some outside areas where you can stay dry, have rain falling in the background, or reflections in a window, reflections in puddles or with an umbrella standing in the rain, or inside standing by a window that has rain running down it in the amazing soft light you will have.
    Try a few with some soft flash, but the natural light on a day like that is money!
    Days like that are made for moody soft black and white...which lucky for you fits the subject matter perfectly :).
  • Options
    l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    Absolutely!!!!

I say go for it!!

I've been DYING for anybody to let me shoot them in the rain, I'd love for a small child to be all decked out in boots and raincoat and umbrella just having a blast. I'm not afraid of a little rain!

Anything that isn't the norm will help those pictures stand out above the boring same old maternity pictures.

And besides, if there's rain, there's clouds, which as mentioned already really helps with light!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    get your safe shots indoors and then try and convince her to go outside for fun shots..like zoomer suggested.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com